Richard B

Has anyone changed a rear valance on a MkI or an Estate? Would they mind sharing thier knowledge?

I'm wondering how to get a good (tight) join by the inner valance/boot floor and whether to replace the part(s) by the rear lights or to cut the new panel and seam weld it as there are two awkward seams? 

It's too big for C clamps and there is no space for 'skin pins', unless I put slots in the new panel.

• 2 weeks later...

With great difficulty Richard, we used to use plenty of joint sealer after spot welding with 'gas' back then, but since the great invention the 'mig' it was far easier. 😉 Drill out all the stop welds if you are changing the panels for new. When we used to fit the new out valance a jack and a piece of wood or if I can remember rightly a wide flat bolster and press this up against the new panel to keep the gaps closed while spot welding with the mig. That way you usually end up with a fairly close fitting panel and it will only require a factory type of sealer finish 😆 

Thanks Peter, I tried to pull the two panels together with self tappers, but there was still a gap.

The top is easy enough to drill and plugweld, yes i have a mig.

The sides will have to be tacked from the outside I suspect, and then a grinder to recreate the seam, unless anyone can tell me a better way? I find getting access to the seam from the inside is impossible. 

Quoted from Richard B-

Thanks Peter, I tried to pull the two panels together with self tappers, but there was still a gap.

The top is easy enough to drill and plugweld, yes i have a mig.

The sides will have to be tacked from the outside I suspect, and then a grinder to recreate the seam, unless anyone can tell me a better way? I find getting access to the seam from the inside is impossible. 

It sounds like the panel isn't a good fit or a pattern part? When we have had ill fitting gaps, sometimes it calls for drastic action by means of a nut and bolt. If it is possible to drill through both panels and push a bolt through attach nut (with washer if needed) and tighten. Sometimes a slit on the new panel helps form a new shape. When gaps don't line up can mean there was a stress point around this area when the car was built and jigged up during assembly, once a panel is removed it can alter the shape of the reinforcing panel making realignment seem difficult and make you think the panel isn't right as well. All part of the panelbeaters world. Sometimes the challenge  can be very challenging 😉  

Quoted from pete jackson-
Quoted from TedTaylor-

Pete perhaps I should get you to come over and fit the one I have had for past 6 months for Woodie .....!

MUT

Ted, 6 months!!!!! Time it should be framed and hung on the wall in the lounge 😲

Well at the moment it is looking posh and hanging on the wall in the garage - the Misses drew the line at the Lounge .......

🤔tongue-out

MUT