1200 cc exhaust system

BrianJT

Hi,
My 1959 Fairthorpe Electron Minor is based on a 948cc Herald but now uses a 1147cc, re-bored to 1174cc, engine.
The original supplied exhaust system, from whatever car I don't know, was replaced with a side-exit silencer that worked satisfactorily for me.
When I started to re-build the the car in 2009, I replaced the silencer with a stainless steel version made to the same dimensions as the one used previously.
Now that I am running the car, I find that the new silencer is very noisy and the car lacks power - 60mph flat out on the M11.
Can members with 1200 Heralds kindly supply me with all details of the exhaust system - dimensions AND part numbers, please as I have to make certain that I can fit items into the available space.
My original system had a tail pipe that looped over the axle - is this true of the 1200cc Herald?
All answers gratefully received and acknowledged.
Brian

I don't have a 1200 but

Quoted from BrianJT
My original system had a tail pipe that looped over the axle - is this true of the 1200cc Herald?

on this specific point, I'm fairly sure all but the very earliest 948 Heralds had the exhaust pass beneath the side of the diff (and the very earliest probably did, too, but ISTR there's a chassis oddity).

Casper is correct: the only truly relevant point here is that manifold and the headpipe (or at least the flange) that mates to it. You might find it's best to have someone fabricate the rest of the system, as I'm not sure the rest of any Herald system would properly match up to the Fairthorpe. And remember that, while the Fairthorpe used the Standard 10's "live" rear axle (hence the exhaust looping over same), the Heralds were all IRS with a fixed differential (hence the exhaust pipe running underneath the differential).

Of course, if you're using a header rather than an original Stanpart manifold, then it's all pretty much irrelevant! If you're using either Herald 948TC twin carbs (SU H1s) and exhaust manifold or early Spitfire twin carbs (SU HS2s) and the early Spitfire's cast iron exhaust manifold, it would be all or part of that Herald 948TC headpipe that you'd need.

Flange position, bore and PCD (hence gasket) is the same on 948TC, 12/50s and Spitfire 4 manifolds (but not 1200).  

Gasket is GEG702

Listings for 12/50 parts may be easier to find (but would be the same).  Don't know who supplies the down pipe only

C.

Hi to all correspondents and non-correspondents,
I'm still trying to obtain ANY info re. the actual physical dimensions of the front and tail pipe and the silencer that is currently being used on a 1200cc Herald successfully.
My Internet searches only reveal the shapes, not the dimensions.
Thanks.