brake lights styaing on

2009poolesparky

Just noticed tonight that the brake lights stay on when i take my foot off the pedal.

If i hook my foot under the pedal and lift it up they go out,, so i know its not an electrical problem.

any ideas why the pedal is not returning all the way to the top?

the brakes seem to work fine, bar the odd squeek also what would cause this squeek ?

thanks
alex

There should be a spring on the pedal (fraid this means crawling about under the dash!), check to see if a) it exists, and b) it hasn't stretched. This could be one cause I can think of.

Also, I can't recall how the switch connects up to the pedal, however something here may be out of alignment, meaning the pedal never clears the switch properly. It sounds like the switch itself is working, so that should be ok, so my suspicions would go along these lines. Ohh, and the second possibility involves crawling upside down in the footwell as well I'm afraid. Sorry :)

Cheers,

Phil

You may have a sticky switch, in that the return on the switch is playing up. Providing it all looks right under the dash as Phil said, whip it out and try it by hand, if it doesnt return every time, whack a new one in.

I had people taking the piss out of me for braking while going uphill on the New Years run last year, turns out it was a sticky switch!

Cheers
Tim

Alex,
If at all possible sort the problem with the pedal return. This problem can also affect the fluid recovery of the master cylinder. Masking it by adjusting the switch really is not the best way.
                                                            All the best,
                                                            Paul

Archived