Which windscreen for 1200 convertible ???/Lights??

ginger948cc

Is the windscreen identical for convertible and saloon? (Or 13/60etc) .My screen is very,very scratched and it needs replacing before the 10 CR.I need to be sure I get the correct article. Also are they difficult to fit?

At night  I would prefer a more pleasant driving experience; the problem is not helped by the fact that the lights need to be more powerful .Can we put halogens  on a Herald and would it need  an alternator inplace of the dynamo? Or spots?

It's not that I'm panicking about the Alpine hair-pins but it would be helpful to see where I was going!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

All Herald windscreens are the same, although the ones you buy these days are laminated instead of toughened.
Fitting is all done with a piece of string. Fit the seal to the screen, run a length of cord around the groove inside the seal, get someone to press the screen against the car from the outside while you pull the cord from the inside which pulls the lip of the seal with it. That's the theory anyway, don't forget to use lots of sealastic or it will leak.
You can fit halogens without changing the dynamo as long as you use 55/60 bulbs which use no more current than the standard ones.

Cheers,

Keith

Thanks Ray , Sorry for not replying earlier -been away for a few days. I'm in South Croydon ;I believe that you are in Whitstable,Kent ? that's just down the road. If you E mail me your phone No. I can call you to arrange for me to collect it. I'm very grateful for your offer.

Many thanks for the windscreen Ray ;it was interesting to come down and see your project in progress. Your 1200 is going to be  something special when it is finished. A nut and bolt restoration done by a perfectionist! Excellent;- I was most impressed, keep us all informed.

Cheers dave

If theres anything you need if you give me a ring ill see whats in my stores . Started on replacing all the outriggers today i was suprized how much trimming of steel on new riggers was needed to reinstate new riggers back on to the chassis . Who ever is making these wants to recalibrate the tooling taking 6mm off one side flange on sutch a simple made up part so it fits correct is a nonsense.  The centre rails have never changed.

ps did you find the book interesting  . pps thanks for the wine.

RAY J

• 2 weeks later...

I've just fitted Halogen lights bought from www.carparts-direct.co.uk

They take no time to fit and are 55/60 watt, so do not drain the battery (I hope).

They look bright in the garage, but I can't try them on the road till tomorrow.

The service from carparts-direct was brill. I ordered Sunday night,-they arrived Tuesday midday! 

Could well be a successful Modification.;(fingers crossed)

Archived