Caroline

Are the tailgates on a mk1 estate the same as on a mk2 estate? Barry thought perhaps the mk2 had different numberplate illumination lamps.

Where can I get a good one? I have the one from the car (too bent to use) and the replacement I bought on closer inspection has had a ding, so I need another. What do I pay for such things? If it's cheaper in labour I'll get the garage to bend it straight again. But I have visions of it opening and the sausages falling out ...

If they are the same, MKII tailgates seem to appear on eBay fairly regularly and seem to be around the £50 mark if they attract any bids at all!

Even if it is straight, there is still a danger you may lose your sausages. For 18months I battled with the tailgate on my estate opening at random on a regular basis, much to the amusement of my passengers - normally at my swearing and stress!

After a myriad of temporary fixes and adjustments, string and bungey straps over the bumper, I spent £8 on a new catch striker plate and normality was restored.

The old one was only slightly worn, but it's made all the difference.

Russell.

Thanks. As is often the case with these things, time is of the essense and ebay isn't throwing up anything useful... We bought a boot lid from a chap in Devon at the Stoneleigh show but I can't find his details. Can anyone guess who this Triumph breaker/ parts supplier may be? I've seen him sell stuff on ebay too.

Apologies if you've already been down this route, but searching the completed items threw up this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4623735565

It didn't appear to sell and they have a spare MK1 estate too. It might be worth contacting them?

Russell.

I'm pretty sure the black plastic trim on the tailgate is only fitted to (MKII) 2.5 PIs, as they are on the rear panel of saloons (and on the 2500S when it was introduced).  However I don't think it was fitted to MK I 2.5 PIs, saloons or estates.

Steve

Thanks for the offer Dave, but we have not only acquired the tailgate Russel found on eBay but also an entire (ish) mk1 estate for parts. The chap was only 20 minutes away from us. We'll send the garage round with the trailer to get it now our only tow-car is Rupert. This is unheard of - we have more 2000s than Acclaims now!

CAroline

Archived