Horn relay Lucas 33188

jackri

Hi All,

A virgin poster...

My horn relay recently went kaput, so now my GiTfire is 'tootless' - I have thought about putting an aftermarket horn on, but i like teh tone of the standard horns. The realy is a Lucas 6RA part #33188 but can I get hold of one? Can I buggery! So I'v elooked at various 33127/3328blah but I cannot fathom whether they are correct for my application - teh tuffnell board behind teh lucar connectors has become degraded over teh years so I have no idea what teh terminals are called. I appreciate that Rimmers have a 'replacement' which is a cylindrical unit with 2 connectors, but then what do I do with the rest of teh wires...??  

In short, does anyone (a) have a 33188 going spare? or (b) know of an alternative? I regularly see 33xxx & 32xxx relays on ebay which look right, but I have no idea of teh terminals etc.

Any help very gratefully received.

cheers
jack

Hi Jack

I would have thought any 4 terminal 6RA relay would be OK. Two of the terminals W1 and W2 operate the relay (one connects to power the other to the horn push it doesn't matter which way they are connected), C1 and C2 are the relay contacts. If it has more than two 'C' terminals then it may be a change-over relay, either use a multi-meter to check which terminals you need or trial-and-error, if you get it wrong the horns wont work or they will work in reverse i.e. on when they should be off.

Alternatively you could use a modern relay which would be cheaper and probably more reliable!!

Cheers

Top Shout Tim!

Indeed I am toying with going down that route (i.e. the modern relay) - trouble is, me & leccy wigglies don't mix, so I'll probably get through a few relays/fuses...

Else, James Paddock has just dropped me a line with a replacement 6RA # 333629

Cheers
Jack

Archived