Horn modification

mazfg

I only had one working horn on my Vitesse, although there were 2 horns under the bonnet. On inspection it revealed both were Lucas 9H horns but both were High note ones. The horn that wasn't working was beyond repair. The working one was  ok, but was often unreliable when the button was pressed. I bought a pair of snail horns off ebay to replace what I had, fitted them and found them even worse than the original. These drew more current than the originals and therefore I decided the wiring just couldn't take that current 10 amps (the original circuit is crude).

So I decided to add a relay, using the horn push to activate this. Using a relay, some wire and crimps, I managed to still use the original wiring to the horns, but earthed the other side directly to the fixing in the bonnet. Now the horns both work perfectly and just a light touch on the column button does the job!

I'll post up my circuit diagram, showing what I did with original wiring in the next few days.

It may help to compare to the original to see the differences. Hope it helps!

Makes use of most of the orginal wiring. The only addition is a cable from the fuse box into the car, underdashboard to the steerig column. This +12v line, feeds the main horn circuit now and the relay coil.