Which battery For a GT6

MarkB

Hi all

I am about to buy a battery for my GT6 Mk 2 and wondered what type others are using. I was just going o go for the biggest battery I could fit in the space but then I started to wonder would it be better to get a battery with the terminals at the back of the battery closest to the bulk head because I have alway been perturbed how close the clamp is to the terminals, my clamp is insulated, but were the terminals on the original battery at the rear? One motor factor suggested the 038 I think similar size to the mini, but probably got the Gt6 confused with a Spitfire.  Any recommendations appreciated.

Thanks Mark

Pretty much the max size you can fit is the 065, however this is a very snug fit!!

It sticks in my mind that I had this battery fitted the opposite way round, and a quick squiz on google would suggest this would have been the case due to the terminal orientation, but i can't be 100% certain on that one without finding the old photographs!!

Hope this helps,

Phil

P.S - As far as I am aware, there is no difference between the GT6 and the Spitfire in either battery size or placement!!

Hi Mark,

When we scrapped our old 405 diesel,I kept the battery which was nearly new at the time and it fitted very nicely into the GT6 battery box and the terminals were in the correct orientation. It was my feeling that if the battery was good enough to start a diesel it would easily cope with a two litre petrol engine.

Not too expensive. Here is the modern equivalent on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VARTA-BLUE-D48-005R-Car-Battery-60Ah-540CCA-/250871523908?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a691baa44

Below is a picture of the installation in my car.

I like the 063 battery. available cheaply
http://www.eurocarparts.com/car-parts?gclid=CMGE-_mt6rICFSTHtAodkTYAng
bosch 4yr one for £36 and local usually. (must buy via website and collect later) They also sell VR1 oil for about £20 so worth a visit!

That battery, and the 065 etc will have the terminals nearest the bulkhead, but neg still on the outside so leads fit. May well need longer battery J bolts though.

Yep, free delivery. But it can be a pain to wait in for a delivery, especially when the branch is a mile from your front door. Pop in a when I have a moment, doesn't screw my day up :)

And being honest, not sure how I would trust a courier to keep a battery upright. Must work though. Mostly.

Thanks lads for all the suggestions. For better or worse in the end I opted for a Crompton battery. It is an 075 type, 60amp 570 3 year warranty. with the terminals closest to the bulkhead as I was after. There is probably a mm to spare on the width and depth, allowing the small step on the base of the battery to fit perfectly. I thought Crompton batteries were long gone, £57.00 inc. Should be able to spin theGT6 over at a fair rate!

Mark