molly

I have just bought myself a Triumph Herald 1200, it seems to run fine bar one little problem.  The current from the car is not great enough to charge the battery, its approx. 11 rather than the required 14v  Because the battery is empty at the moment we have had to push stat it twice. Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem.  This is my first car and I am a novice so any help will be gratefully recieved!

Molly

Thats unusual isn't it? So this car was built before parallel circuits? Is there a simple adjustment I could make to the circuits that would solve this problelem from occuring again? Or will I have to keep a spare set of light in the car?  Do you know of any other bulbs that will cause problems if they blow?  I also know that the previous owner put fuses on all of the circuits, could it be possible that one of these has cut out?

Molly

Hi Molly,
The charging circuit on a Herald relies on a dynamo producing electricity, which is regulated through a seperate control box. This gives you two potential major components which could be the cause of your problem, with the additional factor that a failed battery will never charge adequately. All workshop manuals, even the Haynes, contain excellent notes on testing the charging circuitry. It may be a simple matter of changing the brushes in the dynamo or adjusting the control box, which is located to the left of the battery. 
Many well intentioned owners modify their cars in an attempt to improve them, those modifications are often cause more problems than they prevent. Given that there are some electircal problems it would be worth checking that the previous owner's modifications are done competently,
Cheers,
Bill.

Archived