Vitesse Mk2 Handbrake relay lever

MarkB

Hi all
I began fitting the handbrake cables etc. to the Mk2 Vitesse today and was not that sure which way up the relay lever is fitted. in the end I fitted it with the long end of the pivot tube facing up to give more clearence for the cables from the underside of the floor.

I have another relay lever where the pivot tube is central so makes no difference which way up it is fitted. I have a plastic dust cap which in the diagrams i have seen fits on the end of the pivot tube. if fitted on the long tube it will just slide up and not do anything. On the short end it protrudes slightly and takes up the slack in the mount on the floor. There should be a felt washer fitted between the lever and the floor according to the drawings.

Anyone no how this originally fitted?

Spent ages trying to fit the long cable through the guides at the rear a bit of a puzzle and awkward due to the length of the treaded pieces on the ends of the cables, finally fitted, then found they were about 10 inches to short. Bought the cable about 10 years ago so mabe for a Vitesse Mk1 if they are shorter than the rotoflex version.

Had exactly this conundrum with Spit recently with the added complication of two sets of handbrake guides as well - though I knew which of those I had to use.

I had a fiddle about and tried all three possible positions.  IIRC the central one gave the best compromise of cable angles.  Using the offset relay lever with the arm upwards would have given an even better angle but was making contact with the floor.

Nick

Hi all
Fitted the handbrake and cable. As the rear track is wider than normal, even the new Mk2 Vitesse cable was to short by about 40mm with everything adjusted out to the ends of the threads. Also I am not sure how much stretch there will be with the suspension loaded and flexing.

I decided the easiest option other than trying to find a cable of the correct length, which is hard to judge i modified the relay lever giving me numerous options, which has worked out fine.