Henry

This might seem strange but I just aquired a spit 1500 so its new to me. I have hat a MKIV for 10 years.

I cannot find the horn relay, the overdrive relay, the hazard relay... i dont know if i am missing something but could one of you 1500 owners fill me in please.

Thanks
        Henry

I have a 1500, there are relays for each of those. The horn relay is normally mounted on it's side and on RHD cars it's on the right hand side of the bulkhead (as you are sitting in the drivers seat).

You should find it before the clutch and brake master cylinders on the bulkhead, on the far left, opposite of the battery and it has a white plastic plug on it (unlike anything else on the bulkhead).

As for the the overdrive, I'm not quite sure where that is, there should be a mention in the workshop manual.

I have two separate hazard flasher and indicator/flasher relays which are located on the steering column, just behind the dashboard. One is bigger than the other but they are both silver and shiny.

This may help you identify them:

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/spitfire/images/124a.gif

Hope this helps!

David

The MkIV Spitfire (D type O/D) has an overdrive relay, the 1500 (J type O/D) does not (as standard)
On my 1975 1500 the horn relay (rectangular) is next to the battery, different years may be different?
I agree about the hazard flasher unit, I just wouldn't call it a relay!

The main reason i asked is because i cant find my horn relay. I was looking because the horn does not work. i know the horn relay on a MKIV 1973 is by the battery but ive got a 1500 1979 model and the relay does not exist... perhaps it has been removed and bypassed.

Archived