Electronic Ignition

actesteve

Hi
After the Herald 12/50 wouldn't tick over, and was running a bit rough, I decided to check the points which had closed up. Which got me wondering.. :-/
Would it be worth converting ( if poss) to electronic ignition?
I looked on Canley's site but couldn't find anything, then on Rimmers site, but couldn't suss it out ( never used rimmers anyway).
I just wanted to know if it was feasible and a cost.
Any recollections or experiences of electronic ignition appreciated!
I don't know if it is relevant, but I only have a dynamo......No Why would that be relevant  :-/

Cost about £40 ish - by from the US and they are waay cheaper. I put one on my 13/60 and it made a hellofa difference, the sports coil I added later made little noticeable difference - http://www.vintageperformance.com/retrorockets/triumph.htm Dynamo or alternator, won't affect the electronic ignition

Original distributor type on a 12/50 would be a 25D4. Upgrading to an alternator would be a good idea before fitting electronic ignition, at the very least make sure that your charging system is up to scratch. Whereas a points based system will gradually decline as the system voltage drops, an electronic system sill simply stop working altogether once the voltage drops below a certain threshold.
Points can close up if you have a failed condenser in the distributor. The bad condenser will cause the points to run hot, consequently melting the plastic heel and closing the gap.
Cheers,
Bill.

Hi,
Does anyone know if these electronic ignition units replace the dizzy baseplate, or screw to existing ? I have a delco unit whose baseplate wobbles a bit, otherwise fine. If I could replace that & get an electronic ignition for 40 quid that would be a result !
Thanks .. Richard

Archived