Differences in LHD and RHD column light switch?

A TR7 16V

What's the difference between the LHD and RHD column light switch? I've just swapped the light and indicator switches over to match modern cars and it works fine, except that dip is with the switch up not down.

So is it just that it's the connection with the switch in the most anti-clockwise position that's unwired on the LHD version instead of the most clockwise as on the RHD one?

Yes, I freely acknowledge that it's the herald that is right and (nearly all) modern cars that have the switches the wrong way around. But when I drive one after the herald, I wipe the windscreen every time I turn left, and have to turn right whenever it starts raining.

I also had to strip it all down, because while I was fixing the main beam flash switch I managed to push the indicator switch forward with the cowl off, and pulled the wires out of the circuit board. Luckily I had some copper wire I could make pins from and solder in from the back.

Graham

I cannot understand the windscreen wiper coming into question. On a Herald it is not a column switch. 🙁

When I did my LHD conversion. I firstly just moved the column complete with switches over. However, indicating left and right with the right hand I am not used to and is confusing so I just changed them over such that the indicator switch is on the left and the main beam and dipper switch is on the right. As you say, this means that dip position is at the top but this is no problem I think. You can get and I have them fitted the decals for the indicators and the lights for the LHD version.

Wish I could post a picture but even if I could, the car is hibernating for the winter.

No the wipers aren't on the herald column. It's in the wife's car or my Doly (which has also been swapped to indicators on the left) after I've been driving the Herald that I wipe the windscreen turning left and have to turn right when it starts raining.

I think that may be because I learned to drive in a car with the indicators on the right, and go back to that with more ease than remembering what to do in a modern car.

As I said, indicators on the right is best, but that's only true for a RHD car. With LHD it should be on the left, so, in either case, you can change gear and indicate at the same time.

Graham.

You think you have problems 🙂

I drive Transit vans (LH indicators) and Hino and Mitsubishi buses (RH indicators) My own cars Triumph (RH) and BMW (LH).

To make it worse my car club has a fine...an ice cream...if we are noticed indicating with our wipers 😆

Tony.

Don't know about the 2000/2500's, though many of the Triumphs seem to be switchable to LH indicators. Like I said I did the Doly already - needs the stalks bending a bit and one lead extending a few inches -, and I've done a couple of TR7s - the early ones were RH and later ones LH, and the later switches will fit early cars. Now the Herald is done. 

Graham