Inertia Cut out switch

Jason

I know what it does and I know why it does it but is it a must have or something you can do without initially? Also, what are the real fire risks under the bonnet of a PI? It seems to me that in a PI Vitesse, a hand held extinguisher would be pretty useless and if I was seriously worried I whould go for some sort of plumbed in system or am I just being paranoid? I'm only asking as a few weeks ago I drove past a burning Saab convertible, 20 minutes later I came back past a smouldering husk of a Saab convertible and the fire brigade were almost there when I first went past it!

Jason, I have two inertia cut-out switches on the supersix, one cuts the power to the fuel pumps and the other cuts the power to the ignition.

I have them both to kill the engine and the fuel pressure in the event of a shunt.

I would say they are essential safety items, the car will run perfectly with them, but in the event of a bang it won't stop without them...

jonath

Hah, Jimbo, I teseted mine by banging them on the side of the vice and watched them pop up

Jason, I used two lucas ones, but any G switch from a modern car will also do, they do the same job after all

Fire risks, only from a spray of leaking petrol, I have a plumbed in system, one nozzle pointing over the fuel pumps and the other pointing over the fuel didtributor, and an external battery isolator

peace

j

• 2 weeks later...

Archived