turnsignal/hazard switch issues

hymodyne

Greetings,
Just recently picked up a new Hazard rocker switch for my GT6 MK III. I'm trying to get all of my lights to function for the first time on a frame off restoration project.
Worried I had plugged all the wires into the hazard switch incorrectly, I plugged them in accroding to the diagram, then flipped the hazard switch to plug them in in the same order, just starting from the bottom and not from the top. Also the "H" shaped contact piece within the hazard I just got is a little different than the one in my old switch; the old switch had an "H" that had two cross bars connecting the two longer strips of metal, this switch's "H" piece has only one cross bar, the other is open. I reversed the orientation of this piece as well, in search of the proper configuration for the turn signal wiring, and the hazard. Results so far, the best outcome I get is to have the hazard switch turned on, and the ignition switch on; this allows all turn signal indicator lights to flash on each side front and back when switched on, and lets the green directional indicator on the tach blink as well. when the ignition is on the hazard lights do not flash, only the dashboard indicator light remains lit. with this setup when I turn off the ignition, the reverse lights flash like hazard lights, but no front flashing hazard lights.

to summarize:

headlights hi/lo-OK
Brake lights-OK
reverse lights-OK
turn signals-OK, but only with hazard on dash hazard indicator stays lit.
Hazard- rear reverse lights flash only when ignition is turned off.

james

I always find the hazard switch wiring confusing - the indicators route through it so you don't get indicator on when hazards are on. To add to the confusion, i think I have seen different circuits for different years.
However, if you think the switch is wired ok, check the earths. The flasher and hazard relays need current to flow to make them switch. If resistance is high, odd results happen.

I'd add extra earth connections to rear indicator bulbs, clean all connections, or you could invest in electronic flasher units (they need an earth, but flash reliably).

Hope that helps!

Paul.

IF I remember correctly, when the hazard switch is OFF, 2 pins are connected together. One goes to the indicator switch and one goes to the indicator flasher relay. This allows the indicators to work when the switch is off.
When the hazard switch is ON, 3 pins are connected together. One goes to left indicators, one to right indicators, one to hazard flasher relay. This disables the indicator flasher, links the indicators all together and powers them via the flasher relay.
This is for GT6 Mk2 with separate flasher relays for hazard and indicator. Multimeter will help you get the connections right.
Van

Archived