How to connect a Lucas Fog Light Switch

MichelvdM

I have purchased an original Lucas rear fog light switch to be used in my 1500 Spitfire. Unfortunately the wiring loom isn't prepared for this switch. Can someone help and explain how I should connect the wires? Colors are green, black and white/black.

Thanks and regards,

Michel

First you require a relay
Fit lamp and earth it
take live/red or compatible from lamp  to number 87 terminal on the relay
take a black /earth from number 85 terminal of the relay and earth suitably
take a live from the battery or fuse box and feed to number 30 on the relay terminal
take a compatible colour wire from the side lights live feed and take it to a toggle switch then from toggle to number 86 terminal on the relay and if a warning light type toggle ,earth the switch

OK ?

If your loom is original, there might be a pair of wires already in it for the switch (but not the full loom). Mine never had fog lights but it has the two wires that run from the boot all the way to the fuse box, at which point the fog light loom would attach. Think one of them is blue/red and can't remember what the other is. Obviously that doesn't help connect the switch up but makes life a little easier if you have them.

michael_charlton wrote:
First you require a relay
Fit lamp and earth it
take live/red or compatible from lamp  to number 87 terminal on the relay
take a black /earth from number 85 terminal of the relay and earth suitably
take a live from the battery or fuse box and feed to number 30 on the relay terminal
take a compatible colour wire from the side lights live feed and take it to a toggle switch then from toggle to number 86 terminal on the relay and if a warning light type toggle ,earth the switch

OK ?

This is the info that I needed. Thanks a lot for your help

7271 wrote:

This is the info that I needed. Thanks a lot for your help

Another question on this. I know there is a brown wire going to the light switch. Can I use this one to connect a wire to nr 30 of the relay?
What if I also want to use a relay for the main lights? Can I take the brown wire and connect this one to number 30 connections of both relays.
Also, I have a clock mounted in the dash. Can I also use the brown wire for this?

Thanks,

Michel

• 9 years later...

Hi there. recommissioning a 1980 Spitfire 1500, lots of electrical work. The car was rebuilt early 90's, but some things not done too well. The rear fogs don't work. I've fixed the foglight switch - it now lights up on pull with headlights on, sidelights OK but the fogs don't come on. Taken the Wipac lamps apart and cleaned and set all contacts, checked bulbs ok. Its a bit odd wiring where the positive live goes through the reflector to the sleeve of the bulb, and earth goes to the pip via a tongue on the mounting bolt. Is there maybe a separate line fuse somewhere else?