headlight switch mark 4

IngeWeisenborn

Hey all, I've got a broken headlight switch on a mark 4 spitfire and I was wondering
whether its easier to just buy a new one or to attempt (if it's even possible) to repair it.
If repairing it is an option that would be great,  but it doesn't say anything about it in the cars manual so any tips on 'how to' would be very helpfull:D
Thanks

It is possible to prise the switch apart, but whether you can repair it is another matter.
I'd prefer to fit a new one rather than trust a repaired one - there's nothing more exillerating that loosing your headlights on a twisty country road at night!

Part number UKC8647 is what you need.

Original clear hooters one?? or later style?

If it was a Clear Hooters one, then congratulations on making it last this long! (I noticed smithy still had his as well) as they had a life expectancy of not much at all.

The later switches are funstionally identical, but need a bigger hole in the dash, OK if you have a wooden dash, harder if you have a plastic one.

Cheers

Colin

It's a 'clear hooters' one, yeah I've thought about it but It's probably just easier to get a new one.
They aren't to pricey and it's a plastic dash so fitting a new one shouldn't be to hard.
I've only just started working on the car but thats defo one of the more important things to fix.

Thank you

Ah, well, my original switched failed many moons - and two dashboards - ago and I got home using hairpins to bridge the contacts, which were provided by my then girlfriend. Happy days. Burned my fingers horribly.
Currently in the car's a UKC8647 from Rimmers (location ME15AH03, if ya wanna know), bought in April 2006 for £7.62. I filed the hole out in the dashboard a bit, very carefully, at both top and bottom, retaining some semblance of originality.
Pleased to hear that it appeared convincing to Colin in a photo; in life he'd have clocked it in a second I'm sure.  ;)

smithy wrote:

Pleased to hear that it appeared convincing to Colin in a photo; in life he'd have clocked it in a second I'm sure.  ;)

So perhaps I am the last person in existance using an original Clear Hooters headlight switch.

I do have to be very careful with it, and don't ever let anyone else turn the lights on.... :-)

Archived