Rear oil seal 2000 MKII

TA4K

You can do it when you drop the gearbox out.  You'll need to take the flywheel off.  I would leave the seal housing undisturbed and extract the old seal using a couple of sharp self-tapping screws, though make sure that the leak is actually from the seal and not the housing gasket of where it meets the sump (possible if someone has previously removed the seal housing without the sump).  I think you can probably leave the engine backplate in place but easy enough to remove if you want easier access.

Cheers

Nick

Thanks Nick,

Also had another idea that it might just be overflow that spoilt my granddads driveway. It only leaks when it runs, so I had an idea that it might be the oil expanding under the heat and overflowing? It is quite overfull from the last owner.

Being overfilled won't help but probably not the main reason.  Is it definitely coming from the rear seal - dripping from bell-housing drain or running down the engine side of the backplate?  Just thinking that the oil filter housing is not far away and it can leak from the bottom of the filter bowl (or spin-on adapter housing if fitted) and follow the bottom edge of the block/sump round to the back.  Worth checking.

Also worth checking how petrolly the oil smells.  The PI system can run extremely rich - enough to wash the bores and raise the oil level....

Nick