Front seal oil leak problem

willcolumbine

Forgive me fellow CT'ers for I have sinned! I'm only just getting around to fixing my spitfire after the HCR!

There was a pretty chronic oil leak at the end coming from the engine front seal and the car had to go home on a flatbed. Since then life generally has got in the way and I've only recently got around to looking at it.

When I took it apart I noticed the spring on the oil seal was a bit out of shape - kind of like a 'phone cord someone's been messing with. It wasn't too bad really and I'm not 100% convinced that it's the problem.

Anyone got any idea what else it could be? I hate doing a job twice!

Will have a good look at the crank surface,

it may well have a groove init,

if you can feel the slightest marks with  the... MK 1..  finga nail,

then pack the oil seal towards the car, to get it away frae the grove,

Marcus

Check all the fasteners that screw into the alloy stretcher block that goes over main cap no.1 -both timing cover and sump plug items.

Odds on the it will be one of the bottom ones and the block is stripped as some fo the holes are blindf and the wrong sized fastner has been used. Mixture of fastenings; Cheese headed set screws and studs.

Cheers guys! Looks like I do have a scratch running around the crank pulley where the oil seal meets it. It's funny - it's not a groove that could have been caused by years of oil seal wear but a really random scratch.

I think I'm going to have a look at that front oil seal block too while I'm there and it's not too much more dismantling, I've had problems with a stripped thread on one before and had to fit a new one. Last time though the oil gushed out from between the block and the front plate. It dripped out at a similar rate to the amount of oil I was loosing on the HCR, so right now that is my chief suspect!

timbancroft61 wrote:
Check all the fasteners that screw into the alloy stretcher block that goes over main cap no.1 -both timing cover and sump plug items.

Odds on the it will be one of the bottom ones and the block is stripped as some fo the holes are blindf and the wrong sized fastner has been used. Mixture of fastenings; Cheese headed set screws and studs.

Tim is on the right track,also check the alloy bridge has also got the wooden wedges in that seal the edges to the c/case
Nothing like a bit of woodworm in a spitfire to cause a leak ;D

Archived