What oil to use for my 1500 1979 spit

stevepage3

If you've done any engine work, you'll need to run it in on some cheap junk - £5 from the local motor factors (20w50).
Once the engine is sweet, use something like Castrol Classic 20w50 (e.b. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Castrol-Classic-20w50-/180435169713?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a02c631b1).

Sorry for hijacking your thread Steve, but I recently bought some of Castrol's high-mileage stuff in over-enthusiastic anticipation of having mine ready - it's a reconned Herald engine and am not sure what the mileage is though. Any thoughts on the use of this after running it on cheap stuff as above, anyone?

Steady Rolling,
If your recon engine has had new seals fitted the high mileage oil may not be the best thing to use, One of the features of high mileage oils is an additive intended to rejuvenate old, hardened seals which may not be good for new seals.
                                                                              Good luck,
                                                                              Paul

Archived