Tranny Oil Plug Location

Goody

As most of you know my Dolomite has a TR7 2L engine.  My mate that looks after the car currently can't find the Trans Oil Fill Plug.  Can someone please tell me where it is?  A picture would help as you know I live here in the states and the car is in Bishops Stortford, England.   Thanks All.

If I understand your message correctly the car is fitted with a TR7 engine.
but does it also have a TR7 'box and if so is it a 4 or 5 speed flavour?

Will probably be the first, in which case the filler plug is on the RH side and to the front of the 'box's main casing.
if it is the 5 speed variant the filler plug is on the LH side of the (alloy) rear casing, and hidden from view above the exhaust downpipe.
See piccies below ...

Engine block for Dolly 1850/Sprint/TR7 are identical on the outside, so no problem for 'box swaps.
As it has an overdrive it will probably be a Dolomite 'box, because TR7 4-speed boxes fitted with O/D are very rare to say the least
These boxes look rather similar though, and some parts are interchangeable.

As you can see from the posted pictures the 5-speed 'box is completely different.

• 3 weeks later...

this reminds me that when I got the car I wanted to change the gearbox oil, but - as far as I remember - I never found the drain plug, and in the manual not either, it's always just about 'Check / top up level of gearbox oil.' ...

So how do you drain the gearbox oil?? (5 sp)