An ineresting oil fact part 1

oilman

To kick off our new 12 part series of interesting oil facts we thought that we would address the statement 'My oil has turned to water!'

Let's be objective and look at the actual figures involved here, emotional expressions such as 'turned to water' just will not do. Engineering is supposed to be a science afterall!

So! Almost all modern jet engines run on 5cst at 100degC synthetic ester oil. Needless to say, some bearings will actually be running at a temperature of perhaps 200degC; so the true oil viscosity in these situations is in fact 1.5cst.

This is really thin, much thinner than any car or bike engine oil even in a race engine.

But is it as thin as water? NO!

At 20degC water has a viscosity of 1.0cst and at 50degC it drops to 0.55cst.

Just for comparison, a 0w-20 oil will have an approximate viscosity of 107cst at 20degC, 32cst at 50degC, 8.9cst at 100degC and 2.3cst at 200degC.

So there you go, it may look like water but it certainly isn�t!

Cheers.

Guy

Note:
Centistokes (cst) is the measure of a fluid's resistance to flow (viscosity). It is calculated in terms of the time required for a standard quantity of fluid at a certain temperature to flow through a standard orifice. The higher the value, the more viscous the fluid.

oilman wrote:
That would not be fair on the users here who are Customers of ours.

We will merely have to tolerate those that seem to have something against Opie Oils

Cheers

I have nothing against Opie oils (never heard of them before despite being in the engine business for 40+ years) but if every company selling stuff for cars advertises here, there'll be no space left for really interesting facts!

Oilman, despite 3 previous warnings about the forum rules you still persist in posting indirect marketing for your business.

You try to play the members off against the club admins for your own gains which is disappointing.

Anyway, after discussion with the other admins we have decided to allow your 'informative' posts. However the rules state no advertising.  Your only posts on here to date have been to lead people to your business.

You are welcome to offer free advice to our members, and we encourage that.  Therefore, to this end I have removed all mentions of your business in both your post and your signature.

Please continue to post your 12 part series as a helpful source of information to our members.  That side is very welcome; the free marketing/advertising of your business is not.

GT6John,
Why not ask oilman to write his articles, to be published not as posts, but as "Advertising features" as often appear in magazines? They could appear as threads but closed from the outset.  You could decide if a banner ad on the article to pay him for the article, or a fee to the board/club for the privilidge of being 'featured' is appropriate.
John

That's a good idea, John.  I would like his articles to feature in our club magazine, too, where all our members can get the benefit of them.

We would be more than happy to accomodate Oilman and his useful articles, and will promote his company at the same time, (it's all about scratching backs) but would like some sign of support and correspondence (!) from him to begin with.  Currently we haven't had this.

I did contact him before, detailing the advertising options open to him, and asked him to consider them and come back with any other ideas that he had so we could perhaps work together.

For example he offers a discount to club members (Bit of free advertising for him there!). We didn't know that until he mentioned it in passing the last time.  We'd like to work with him to tell all our members this fact, for a start.

Let's hope we can work together, to the mutual benefit of all parties.

Hi Oilman

Now you are here, could you please help confirm/ kill some urban legend that that runs in the triumphworld.

Word is that there is some aggressive ingeredient in GL5 oils that will "eat" the yellow materials in our differentials. Therefore we should only use GL4 oil.  Is this some rubbish, or should I get rid of my GL5 oils?

Kind regards
Nick

Nick

It was the case some years ago but things have not been like this for more than 10 years now. All GL5 oils are compatible with yellow metals. What is not is chlorinated paraffin which makes up a lot of these so called magic addatives.

Cheers
Simon

John_Martin wrote:
That's a good idea, John.  I would like his articles to feature in our club magazine, too, where all our members can get the benefit of them.

We would be more than happy to accomodate Oilman and his useful articles, and will promote his company at the same time, (it's all about scratching backs) but would like some sign of support and correspondence (!) from him to begin with.  Currently we haven't had this.

I did contact him before, detailing the advertising options open to him, and asked him to consider them and come back with any other ideas that he had so we could perhaps work together.

For example he offers a discount to club members (Bit of free advertising for him there!). We didn't know that until he mentioned it in passing the last time.  We'd like to work with him to tell all our members this fact, for a start.

Let's hope we can work together, to the mutual benefit of all parties.

I would be more than happy to help however I can and contribute either to this forum or to the Club Magazine or both. I'm sure that our expertise would be useful to some of your Members, the discounts may come in handy too.

Just drop me a mail to sales@opieoils.co.uk and I would be happy to start a dialogue that hopefully will be mutually beneficial.

Thanks for the constructive comments.

Cheers
Simon

Well I'm not the oilman, but I am married to a development chemist who tells me not to use GL5 where yellow metals are present. GL4 was specified well into the 1990s for Volkswagen transmissions, GL5 is warned against in the factory literature.
There are some GL5s which are claimed to be safe with yellow metal, but unless this is disclaimed by the particular brand you are buying, stick with GL4,
Cheers,
Bill.

Archived