INLET MANIFOLD & MANIFOLD CARBURETTOR GASKET

Marywellguy

I HAVE JUST BOUGHT A 1972 TRIUMPH 1500 AND I AM LOOKING FOR THE ABOVE PLEASE. BASED IN ABERDEEN PLUS DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHY THE CAR IS HESITATING ? CHANGED THE POINTS,CONDENSER AND ROTTER ARM AND NEW AIR FILTER. :-/
THE PREVIOUS OWNER THINKS IT COULD BE THE COIL ?

It could well be the coil. There are some poor quality ignition parts out there so don't rule them out of your diagnosis. You will need to check the carb and inlet manifold for leaks and makes sure the valve clearances are fine. Check the ignition system next and once you're satisfied it is 100% you can then move on to the fuel system. Is your 1500 brown and on a K plate? If this is the one I'm thinking of, it has had a lot of bodywork done in recent years and belonged to a young lady from Edinburgh who was active on the Triumph Dolomite Club forum. I suggest that you also join the TDC forum where you will get plenty of help and advice.

Just one more thing: Please don't type every thing in upper case (capital) letters. It is considered poor forum etiquette. Unfortunately, I see this sort of thing where I work (a solicitor's office) and it is one of my pet hates.

Plenty of stuff on Ebay although be wary of cheap gaskets. Maybe someone on here's got a manifold going spare? Are they something to do with the problem?

I don't mind large print, in fact, at my time of life, it's a great help.   8)

Oil on the distributor baseplate between the points and the baseplate can be a cause of cutting out. Take the points out and check there is absolutely none there. On the 25D distributor, which your car should have if it is the original 1972 one, the low tension lead in the distributor can be an item which is now past its best and could be replaced. Have you cleaned the faces of the new points before fitting them? They need a wipe with a file before use. If you have new black rotor arms with rivets, throw them away as they are more trouble than they are worth. If it's none of the above, the plug leads might be another cause of trouble. There is little to beat copper cored leads instead of all the fancy stuff on the go. I bought a new set of green leads with whatever type of filament they have now for a Stag a couple of years ago and ended up putting the old ones back on as it wouldn't run at all. If none of the above work, write back with what hasn't been changed and I'm sure there will be more suggestions as to what to try next. Best of luck - my first car was a 1972 Triumph we bought new so I have a soft spot for them!