Lord Sorbington

Hoping to solve a fuel leak from one of my carbs once and for all - need to renew the O rings in the jet assembly, mainly the adjuster screw.  I changed the O ring visble in the picture but it still leaks from where the screw adjuster goes into the jet assembly.

My manual is a bit unclear about this - can anyone advise me how to remove / dismantle the jet assembly before I rush in and break something?

Look how much crud was in he float chamber!

It's a long time since I messed around with the early Strombergs, but you shouldn't have to remove the whole jet assembly. If you unscrew just the tip of it (with the slot in the end) there should be a small o-ring around that. As long as the large o-ring is sealing ok this is the only other place fuel can get out at the bottom.

As I say though , I haven't messed with this type in a while so I'm hoping someone else can give you a second opinion.

very easy to change the O ring on the jet (you dont even have to take the carbs off , just be sure you have a bowl to collect the fuel and the engines cold) ..un screw jet..replace O ring... screw back...check number of turns and hey presto job done!.... incidentally that amount of crud in the float bowl is common ive seen them with lots more and they still run the same!

It was indeed very easy to change the O ring!! Unscrew adjuster completely, fit new O ring, give it a spray with carb cleaner for good measure, screw back in. Petrol leak seems to be cured and the garage no longer reeks of the stuff which is nice.  It was dripping onto the steering shaft and running down to the rack which can't have been doing any good.....

Reset the mixture afterwards, got a nice grey / charcoal exhaust after the 10 mile test run.  Not sure the carbs are 100 % balanced but thats a job for another day.

Will be interesting to see how fuel economy is now, was quite good anyway, about 28mpg even with the leak.

Also interesting how the correct idle speed affects operation of the autobox at low speeds, really smooth when you get it right.  Important to remember that the idle speed drops quite a bit when you select a gear - I always test it in gear, with all the electrics on to make sure it will still idle.  A stalled automatic with a dicky starter motor is no fun!!

Thanks again for the advice.

Glad to see you have fixed your leak.  If you ever need to do work on your carbs again check out the following web site which has loads of information on carbs, gearboxes and other items.

/http://web.archive.org/web/20020605024956/http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org

Click on the Technical tab on the left hand side.

Happy viewing.

Archived