Newbie Carb question!

Leisureking

Firstly...

Hello everyone! I've just bought another spitfire after nearly 10 years without one, and I've managed to forget almost everything I once knew (not much admitedly!)

I've got a 79 1500 needing some fairly substantial renovation, which doesn't scare me as I've done several other restos of this nature over the last decade.

My question is regarding HS4 carbs; I have a set from from an old (76 MGB GT) but I'm not sure if I can just bolt these on. Would I need to change the jet sizes and if so, does anyone know what size I would need. They look identical to the ones that came with the car, but these are rusted solid having been sitting in a pile of mud for 5 years! The engine is mildly modded to include lightly ported inlet manifold and extractor manifold/exhaust.

Thanks in advance and hello again to you all!

To get it going use the needles from the spitfire, if they come out! If not somebody is sure to be able to recommend a mild needle, or check the mg ones out. Burlen fuel systems have all the specs, and use James "mintylamb" site's needle chart thingy.
Clive

Thanks guys,

Just realised there's a search option here been trawling through old posts and have a feeling I should just bite the bullet and buy some decent second hand ones to service. I'll keep the MG ones until I can find another use for them, whats another five or six years on a shelf between friends! I'l definately l check out James' needle chart though.

I'm sure I'll come accross more problems over the next few months, thanks again and in advance!

TC

Archived