Clutch Master Cylinder Same As Brake?

Chambers

I replaced the seals on my brake master cylinder a while ago but think the clutch one could also do with it so was just going to buy new ones of both. I have looked on Ebay and they seem to have master cylinders that look like my clutch mc bu are listed as brake/clutch.
My brake one currently has a bigger resivoir than the clutch one, will there be any problems if I use a smaller one for both?

Also I have noticed there seems to be two different type. One with a plastic resiviour that is as 90 degrees to the cylonder and the order which seems to have a metal resiviour and is slightly on an angle to the cylinder. Can you advise which is ideal on a 1500 spitfire

My late 1978 1500 was originally fitted with a brake master cylinder with plastic reservoir.  I think these were fitted for a year or so before they changed to dual line brake pipes.

After being off the road for 20 years, considerable corrosion had set in and the clutch master cylinder was clapped.  So I replaced the brake master cylinder with new and used the old brake one for the clutch.  Works fine.

Chambers,
I wouldn't recommend using the smaller reservoir master cylinder for the brakes. The volume of fluid it holds is too small for the brake system. That is why the early cars had a brake master that had a taller reservoir than the currently offered all metal clutch master cylinders.
                                                                               All the best,
                                                                               Paul

Archived