Dolomite? 1500 Buying advice

Welsh Dragon

I am contemplating buying a 1973 Triumph 1500 saloon do not know if it is Toledo or Dolomite or nowt but wherever I put Triumph 1500 the only info I get back is for Spitfires.  I just want to know what major things to watch out for when viewing it.  Thanks

Brian

Thankyou both for the response.  The engine is mounted in line and not transverse so it may well be a dolomite.  The underside is black bitumous seal so rust may be hidden but it would not be possible at 87 to crawl under with a girt big 'ammer and belt seven bells out of it and, from photos paintwork looks good i.e. no noticeable bubbling.  Any more tip anyone ?  Thanks

12 minutes ago, Welsh Dragon said:

The engine is mounted in line and not transverse

That's irrelevant. The Triumph FWD arrangement puts the engine in line with the gearbox behind, just like a RWD, but then takes the output forward to a diff under the sump. This is the same arrangement used on the series 1 VW Passat, incidentally, and works much better than the transverse arrangement.

The knock on startup is normally big ends - a known weak point of the 1500 engine - combined with a tendency to drain the oil back when stopped, leading to a dry start. If it goes away in a second or two then it may not be a big problem. If it persists while driving then a crank regrind is probably in order.

• Clive changed the title to Dolomite? 1500 Buying advice
40 minutes ago, Welsh Dragon said:

Clive.  Is the knock at start up indicative of B/ends, L/ends or summat else.  Thanks

Rob has covered it, Big ends, so if knocking for more than a very short time, yes, an issue.

87?? I doff my cap to you Sir!

And I have changed the thread title to something more appropriate than your name! (I am a moderator, so can do useful stuff like that)