Vapor lock in heavy traffic

Dannyb

Yesterday in Spit 1500 I was held up for about 35 mins in heavy traffic. Temp gauge never went above normal but when I eventually started to move the car ran like a pig. I suspect the under bonnet electric pump had got too hot. 

I also fitted another pump in the boot for back up, so switched over to that one via swith on dash and instantly started running normally. I think this is one of the mods that payed off. 

Danny 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Dannyb said:

Yesterday in Spit 1500 I was held up for about 35 mins in heavy traffic. Temp gauge never went above normal but when I eventually started to move the car ran like a pig. I suspect the under bonnet electric pump had got too hot. 

I also fitted another pump in the boot for back up, so switched over to that one via swith on dash and instantly started running normally. I think this is one of the mods that payed off. 

Danny 

Interesting, I like forward thinking. Good move 👍

45 minutes ago, yorkshire_spam said:

Do you have the standard SU carbs? Is there a heatshield fitted - before I fitted a nice shiny heatshield I used to get issues when it was hot.

Old Blog Post

Yeah double skinned heat shield with heat wrap around downpipes and all pipework around top of bulkhead to the standard SU's. Never had this before but I can't remember a hot day like yesterday stuck in traffic. 

Danny

3 hours ago, Dannyb said:

Yeah double skinned heat shield with heat wrap around downpipes and all pipework around top of bulkhead to the standard SU's. Never had this before but I can't remember a hot day like yesterday stuck in traffic. 

Danny

Sorry @Dannyb, just realised how dumb my comment was - you clearly had a fuel pump related issue - not carbs! Really need to switch my brain on sometimes.