oil cooler question

Paul1972

Sorry to ask such a basic question but just reassembling my 1550 Mk4 and wanted to confirm which would be the inlet and the outlet connection.  The oil cooler has what I presume to be a return valve with one port labelled input but I can't see which outlet on the sandwich this should connect to and I presume it needs to be connected the correct way for oil to flow through the cooler.  Logic would dictate that the lower port at 6 o'clock is the outlet from the engine and that should connect to the input on the valve am I correct in my assumption?

6597D861-7253-4B27-904D-AD770AAA3810.heic 994880CD-3A60-45F1-BB3E-45E2650979BD.heic

14 hours ago, Paul1972 said:

Sorry to ask such a basic question but just reassembling my 1550 Mk4 and wanted to confirm which would be the inlet and the outlet connection.  The oil cooler has what I presume to be a return valve with one port labelled input but I can't see which outlet on the sandwich this should connect to and I presume it needs to be connected the correct way for oil to flow through the cooler.  Logic would dictate that the lower port at 6 o'clock is the outlet from the engine and that should connect to the input on the valve am I correct in my assumption?

6597D861-7253-4B27-904D-AD770AAA3810.heic 1.98 MB · 3 downloads 994880CD-3A60-45F1-BB3E-45E2650979BD.heic 1.68 MB · 0 downloads

Oil enters the filter via the outside ring of holes, and then out from the centre.

So you shoud be able to determine which port is which. The oil goes to the cooler first then back to the sandwich plate/filter.

I hope you have a thermostat....

It doesn't matter much which connection is which as the actual cooler isn't really directional (the flow is normally across rather than down). However, I couldn't open your photos as you've posted them in a non-standard file format (I suspect an Apple proprietary one). Please export as JPG in the interests of cross-platform usefulness.

• Like 1

On 27/06/2022 at 13:11, RobPearce said:

It doesn't matter much which connection is which as the actual cooler isn't really directional (the flow is normally across rather than down). However, I couldn't open your photos as you've posted them in a non-standard file format (I suspect an Apple proprietary one). Please export as JPG in the interests of cross-platform usefulness.

Does this help?

994880CD-3A60-45F1-BB3E-45E2650979BD.jpg

6597D861-7253-4B27-904D-AD770AAA3810.jpg

• Like 1

So I would be right in thinking the oil leaves the engine through the connection on the filler plate at 4 o'clock position which connects to the inlet line on the thermostat passes through the cooler and returns through the connection at the 5 o'clock position which fills the filter through the peripheral holes and returns into the engine via the central screw thread on the filter.

• Like 1