Herald/Vitesse window mechanism

Pete Arnold

Immediately after passing the MoT yesterday the driver's side window on my Vitesse jammed after winding it down about an inch so I've spent this afternoon investigating the problem.

As can be seen in my "picture 1" a piece (arrowed) is hanging loose from the regulator assembly.  Initially I thought the other end had come unbolted from somewhere.  However I eventually realised thst this loose piece is actually part of the channel assembly in which the glass sits.  Looking at "picture 2" you can see where it should be fixed along the bottom of the channel assembly.

As the part is no longer available, I am hoping that it can be fixed by welding and I have tried to measure the space (approx 3.75") between the two pieces. Does any other Herald/Vitesse owner currently have easy access to their window mechanism who could check this space for me?

Any help welcome!

P1020009.JPG

P1020011.JPG

3 hours ago, Pete Arnold said:

As can be seen in my "picture 1" a piece (arrowed) is hanging loose from the regulator assembly.  Initially I thought the other end had come unbolted from somewhere.  However I eventually realised thst this loose piece is actually part of the channel assembly in which the glass sits.  Looking at "picture 2" you can see where it should be fixed along the bottom of the channel assembly.

As the part is no longer available, I am hoping that it can be fixed by welding and I have tried to measure the space (approx 3.75") between the two pieces. Does any other Herald/Vitesse owner currently have easy access to their window mechanism who could check this space for me?

I think this piece was originally spot welded to the channel so maybe you can match up the two pieces using the marks left on them (might need a mirror)...

You will be wanting to remove the channel from the glass for welding, so make a note of the alignment on there. When you put it back on, you'll be surprised at how near the front of the glass that channel needs to be, otherwise the lifter mechanism runs out of slot before the glass is fully up.

• Like 1