Dolomite propshaft bearing

standardthread

Has anyone done it?

Do you have to remove a UJ to get the bearing carrier off or can the UJ yoke be removed by removing the bolt that bolts it to the prop using a ring spanner?

How do you separate the bearing from the rubber carrier?

Does anyone have a SKF bearing number or one from a similar supplier?

Has anyone used this bearing as a replacement; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORIGINAL-O-E-FORD-TRANSIT-30MM-PROPSHAFT-CENTRE-BEARING-MK5-MK6-MK7-MK8-RWD/253332532698?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

if so, are they any good?

Even the official BL manuals are vague, the 1976 version doesn't even cover it.

Reasons for my questions, I think mine is going, I've suddenly noticed a 'dry bearing' noise appearing after a couple of miles and I have read bad feedback about OEM bearing supplied by some suppliers, hence the question about the transit bearing, which I understand can be glued in to the Dolomite bearing carrier frame.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I used a genuine Ford transit version, £30 from memory. Cut the fixing brackets off it, and then used sikaflex (or any good pu type adhesive)to glue it to the metal hoop from the old one. 

Afraid I can't remember the full process, mine has a cv joint and I had to take that apart.

There is info on the tdc forum. I may well have written something useful, but it was a few years ago.

Thanks gents, I looked at the TDC forum before I posted, that's where I got the bearing link from, and the fixing options.

I have a spare (shot) carrier and prop (that's OK), I'm going back to antique basics of learning at a scrapers so I will take the bolt out under the prop UJ and then try to pull(?) the bearing off the prop with a 3 leg puller? Then do some measuring.

I've looked at 'OEM' mounts from a Triumph supplier (not good feedback on their engine mounts etc.) and they are about six times the cost of the above link who are now selling a pair of Transit mounts for about £30.

12 hours ago, standardthread said:

Thanks gents, I looked at the TDC forum before I posted, that's where I got the bearing link from, and the fixing options.

I have a spare (shot) carrier and prop (that's OK), I'm going back to antique basics of learning at a scrapers so I will take the bolt out under the prop UJ and then try to pull(?) the bearing off the prop with a 3 leg puller? Then do some measuring.

I've looked at 'OEM' mounts from a Triumph supplier (not good feedback on their engine mounts etc.) and they are about six times the cost of the above link who are now selling a pair of Transit mounts for about £30.

Your link is the actual one I bought. It has done a good few miles, no issues at all. And bound to be way better than any repro Triumph part. 

Worth noting that the bearing is not central within the rubber, I set mine so the bearing was above centre, seems to work fine.

Cheers Clive, thanks for the tip, I will order a pair for £30 (looks like they have stopped selling singles).

I have managed to get the bolt nearly out without taking the UJ apart to the point where I can turn the bolt with my fingers. I suppose it depends on the profile of both the spanner used and the UJ itself. The problem now is to get the yoke assembly to move off the spline, so far it's about 3/16" and stuck so it is soaking in a pool of penetrating oil. If that fails the UJ will come out and a two leg puller to shift the yoke.

At least I have got my head around the layout now because an old 1850 BL manual shows split collars to hold the bearing in the rubber bung, a castellated nut (now replaced by the bolt above) on a thread that must have been part of the shaft, plus a woodruff key to go in the mix somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/10/2022 at 11:54, standardthread said:

Cheers Clive, thanks for the tip, I will order a pair for £30 (looks like they have stopped selling singles).

I have managed to get the bolt nearly out without taking the UJ apart to the point where I can turn the bolt with my fingers. I suppose it depends on the profile of both the spanner used and the UJ itself. The problem now is to get the yoke assembly to move off the spline, so far it's about 3/16" and stuck so it is soaking in a pool of penetrating oil. If that fails the UJ will come out and a two leg puller to shift the yoke.

At least I have got my head around the layout now because an old 1850 BL manual shows split collars to hold the bearing in the rubber bung, a castellated nut (now replaced by the bolt above) on a thread that must have been part of the shaft, plus a woodruff key to go in the mix somewhere.

Big hammer ! BTW No woodruff key. it's splined.

Edited by Gt6s

6 hours ago, Gt6s said:

Big hammer ! BTW No woodruff key. it's splined.

1936118449_propbearing0001.thumb.jpg.e5ad120e5ae1b559d21aba6e5942b910.jpg

Mr. BL obviously made changes over time, for example, from Stromberg's to SU's

Job done, drift, lump hammer and flypress!

Just got to put the re-built prop on the car.

A point to note, I did manage to get the yoke off without removing the centre UJ by using a slim 11/16" ring spanner, a different UJ could have proved different.

Edited by standardthread

32 minutes ago, standardthread said:

A point to note, I did manage to get the yoke off without removing the centre UJ by using a slim 11/16" ring spanner, a different UJ could have proved different.

👍

On 18/10/2022 at 18:32, standardthread said:

Probably. Ones I have chopped up to modify have been splines. Not of use to me