MGF Seats

Pete Arnold

The front seats in my Vitesse saloon (which I fitted some 9 years ago) came from a 1996 MGF.  These are very comfortable for long journies but the driver's one is now beginning to look a bit tatty - piping coming adrift and stitching coming undone - so I'm keeping my eyes open for possible replacements. 

I would like to remain with MGF seats as my car has the correct runners etc installed.  Does anyone have definite advice about seats from later MGF models?  In other words, would seats from a later model still be narrow enough to fit straight into the Vitesse?  Or do I need to restrict my search to seats from  an MGF only up to a particular year?

Any info welcome.

Newton Commercial do re-trim kits for MGF Seats, not cheap but they will make them look like new when fitted?

Not sure how much second hand MGF Seats fetch these days, I picked up a pair up of late 1990's ones for £34 on E-Bay about 15 years ago but those prices are probably long gone now? 

There seems to be loads of different types, certainly the earlier ones (Pre 2000) suit the existing Vitesse Interior 

Are your seats this style?

Original MGF Seat Side.jpg

4 hours ago, garyf said:

Newton Commercial do re-trim kits for MGF Seats, not cheap but they will make them look like new when fitted?

Not sure how much second hand MGF Seats fetch these days, I picked up a pair up of late 1990's ones for £34 on E-Bay about 15 years ago but those prices are probably long gone now? 

There seems to be loads of different types, certainly the earlier ones (Pre 2000) suit the existing Vitesse Interior 

Original MGF Seat Side.jpg

They’re nice 👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, garyf said:

Thanks for your response Gary.

My seats are basically black cloth with green piping (photo attached).  The piping is coming undone on the driver's door side and there is a pair on eBay which shows exactly the same wear so this may be a weak spot.  My pair cost me £40 nine years ago but, as you say, there are not many good ones at that sort of price these days! 

Many of those currently on eBay are leather or half leather ("Alcantara" - presumably the design name) but I assume these are from later models.  Newton's website confirms that the Mk I model dates between 1995-99 so presumably later models may be a different size or shape.  With winter approaching I'm not desperate to get better seats so I'll keep my eyes open for something suitable over coming months.

P1020041.JPG

• Like 1

On 26/10/2022 at 00:54, Howard said:

Have you looked into getting them recovered? There is a place in Baldock Herts that will do the job at a reasonable price.

Howard is referring to A.R. Pound, tel. 01462 892704. Speak to Fred, he has done several jobs for me over the years, on the TR and daily drivers, and I have always been pleased by the quality of work and very reasonable pricing. The place always looks a pickle but don't let that worry you! 

Tim

• Like 1