The Dreaded Electrics!!...Herald 13/60

Alan Armstrong

Hi all, Im expecting this to be long and drawn out!

So my car came as a non runner, and now its time to tackle the tangle of electrics even before I consider adding a battery!

Out of the distributor is connected a blue and green wire...my diagram says it should be white and red! I'm guessing regardless, this should go to the coil?(not fitted)

In the dynamo plug I have a single thick brown wire, which is quite lengthy but has no connector on the end and is loose in the engine bay. Diagram shows 2 wires one should be brown and yellow and the other brown and green!

I have a thick brown wire coming out of the loom which passes from the inside through the bulkhead behind the battery tray. this wire is added to the positive battery terminal. What and why please as diagram doesnot show any additional wires to the battery pos terminal,.

I have a thick red and white wire coming out of same loom but unconnected..should this go to the starter solenoid?

I'm going to have a lie down now!

29 minutes ago, Alan Armstrong said:

Out of the distributor is connected a blue and green wire...my diagram says it should be white and red! I'm guessing regardless, this should go to the coil?(not fitted)

Yes, the wire from the distributor goes to your coil, the negative side since a 13/60 is negative earth. I think it should be white/black, but as this wire suffers from heat and vibration they usually get swapped with whatever the PO had lying around.

31 minutes ago, Alan Armstrong said:

In the dynamo plug I have a single thick brown wire, which is quite lengthy but has no connector on the end and is loose in the engine bay. Diagram shows 2 wires one should be brown and yellow and the other brown and green!

Can't help much with wiring a dynamo, I never had a car with that still had one. Sounds like potentially someone started converting your car to an alternator? Brown/green wire should be thin and brown/yellow should be thick, both should go to the control box.

41 minutes ago, Alan Armstrong said:

I have a thick brown wire coming out of the loom which passes from the inside through the bulkhead behind the battery tray. this wire is added to the positive battery terminal. What and why please as diagram doesnot show any additional wires to the battery pos terminal,.

As you say, there should be no extra wires on the battery, a thick brown wire should come off the starter solenoid. Or if the brown wire really goes through the bulkhead to the dashboard, it's likely the main lighting feed, but this should be brown with a blue stripe.

At this point it's probably worth unwrapping the loom in the engine bay, and seeing exactly what you have, especially if like one of my cars it already contains numerous dodgy joins and choc blocks. Good luck!

Sounds like someone has seriously played with your loom and you might find problems with other circuits later.

When we got our 1960 Standard the cables were rubber, covered in fabric and perished so I made a completely new loom by stripping an old Herald loom based on a Herald diagram with mods for things like fuse box an alarm etc. It took me about a day to strip an old loom, measure and cut cables and make the loom.

You have the cables (or can buy the correct colours if they are missing) cut to correct lengths, all you need are some spade connectors and some self amalgamating loom tape, then you have the confidence that things are correct, and will work.

The thick brown (plus yellow?) and brown go between control box, dynamo and starter solenoid.

I dont know if this will help you but whilst I had time on my hands during the lockdown I drew the 13/60 wiring diagram in a slightly simplified way that I could follow more easily. Regarding the wire colour code, the first letter is the main colour and the second code is the stripe colour. Your large brown wire from the battery to the loom might be the feed to the light switch but it should go via an in-line fuse. There is a white and red stripe wire from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid. Have a look at the diagram and I hope it helps.

Wiring Diagram.jpg

Great diagram thanks. The only thing I can see that doesnt match my workshop manual, and its a really minor point, is the connections in the coil. The Triumph drawing of the coil internals shows both its primary and secondary windings connected together at the low voltage input not the outgoing connection to the points. Although the internet does show both set ups the former makes more sense to me and I suppose thats why its important to install the coil the right way round....

57 minutes ago, oldbury863 said:

The site seems to have compressed the diagram from 2.5Mb to 105K! Is there a way of uploading it without compression?

I've found that when I have transferred photos from a memory card to my pc, then opened the photo on my pc, and then saved the photo in my photo program the file size reduces from Mb to Kb. I doit every time if I'm sending the photo in an email etc.

Regarding your loom and drawing there is ONLY one fuse in the 13/60 loom, it's an in line fuse for the lights and nothing else. It is taped to the loom very close to the bulkhead in the engine compartment, that's why I put a modified fused Herald style loom in our Standard. If, for example, the door light switch earths before power gets to the fuse it will fry the cable for its full length, I know, it happened to a friend so a fuse box is a must!  

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so moving along now with with growing confidence that if a wire has been fiddled with, inevitably it will change colour!!

So if I'm correct, there is a thick bron and blue wire that is the feed to the ignition switch, leaving a white & red wire from the switch to the solenoid, and a bunch of 4 white wires feeding to various circuits.

My plan is to put an inline fuse on the brown/blue wire to the ignition switch, can anyone advise me what amperage should my fuse be please?

KR

Alan

At least 100A

I wouldn't recommend fitting a fuse there, but if you're going to then it needs to be one that won't ever blow.

Triumph were minimalist on fuses because they can fail, and you don't want them taking out anything that matters. If you fit a fuse before the ignition switch, and expect it to protect you, then that pesky waterlogged brake light will kill your engine on the motorway and lead to far more serious consequences.

Either stick with the original wiring or do it properly - a separate fuse on each circuit, with the ignition left unfused.

1 hour ago, Alan Armstrong said:

Ok so moving along now with with growing confidence that if a wire has been fiddled with, inevitably it will change colour!!

So if I'm correct, there is a thick bron and blue wire that is the feed to the ignition switch, leaving a white & red wire from the switch to the solenoid, and a bunch of 4 white wires feeding to various circuits.

My plan is to put an inline fuse on the brown/blue wire to the ignition switch, can anyone advise me what amperage should my fuse be please?

KR

Alan

The thick brown/blue wire should (according to diagram) go from A1 on the control box to terminal 4 on the master lighting switch. Nothing to do with the ignition. I would be extremely cautious.

Someone has seriously played with your loom.

17 hours ago, Alan Armstrong said:

Ignition circuits don't need, or use heavy duty thick cables. As glang states above the brown/blue cable goes both ways, one thick cable to the master lighting switch , and a thin cable to the ignition switch.

This is my Autobook wiring diagram for a 13/60 if it helps. It also in pencil, cables to join to use an alternator, which I have done!

Autobook diagram.jpg