Correct oil for spitfire d type overdrive

Maggie13

34 minutes ago, Maggie13 said:

Is this one ok.

https://www.commaoil.com/productsguide/view/6/183

Is some gl4 not suitable because of additives or sulphur or something. 

GL5 is a no no in the gearbox. (More to do with it being too slippery for the brass synchros rather than sulphur)

The comma oil you linked to is ideal, I used it for many years (now have a 5L can of millers, same spec but it happened to be on offer!) I prefer an 80-90 oil as it helps the gearchange when cold,

I believe GL5 has additional additives to make it suitable for higher stress uses (racing, high power drives etc) which might make it better for our heavily modified cars but unfortunately some brands have additives which attack copper based metals so to avoid any risk most people stick with GL4...

47 minutes ago, glang said:

I believe GL5 has additional additives to make it suitable for higher stress uses (racing, high power drives etc) which might make it better for our heavily modified cars but unfortunately some brands have additives which attack copper based metals so to avoid any risk most people stick with GL4...

No, even a yellow metal safe GL5 oil must not be used in a gearbox. 

The GL5 stuff is just too "good" at being an oil, it reduces friction too much. So the synchros do not grip. Change to steel synchros with friction linings and GL5 would be fine. 

Never heard that one and I wonder if your thinking of the low friction additives that you can buy separately and which yes shouldnt be used on OD boxes. Ive used said additives in non OD 3 rail units with no ill effects or noticeable benefits for that matter....

29 minutes ago, glang said:

Never heard that one and I wonder if your thinking of the low friction additives that you can buy separately and which yes shouldnt be used on OD boxes. Ive used said additives in non OD 3 rail units with no ill effects or noticeable benefits for that matter....

Nope. Otherwise gearbox builders (eg BGH) would spec a GL5 oil for the type 9 gearbox,. But they specify GL4 oils Many gearboxes produced today from Honda, Toyota  not to mention BMW, Rover/MG etc etc specify  GL4 or the very similar MTF (or their own oil) which does not meet GL5 spec. 

Conversley, I would very happily use a yellow metal safe GL5 oil in a diff. 

Think some manufacturers specify a GL4 because their equipment doesnt need GL5 as the gear loads arent sufficiently high so no point using the more expensive oil. Im struggling to find warnings online about synchros slipping with GL5 although of course plenty about the risk to the yellow metal of synchros. In fact I would have thought synthetic gear oil is more likely to cause slipping due to its increased friction reducing properties... 

Try looking for some of the Honda warnings...

I believe that most? GL5 oil is yellow metal safe these days. Besides, the cost of the different spec oils is very very low. So manufacturers recommend teh best oil that wil have teh least number of warranty claims and produce the best efficiency.

Synthetic has nothing to do with slipperyness. You can get synthetics is almost all grades, but it is the specification (not just the GL number) that dictates its properties. 

I thought it wasnt recommended to use synthetics for engine run in because theyre too slippery and dont allow proper contact for components to bed in?

Apparently to achieve GL5 and be yellow metal safe involves the use of more expensive additives so most use the cheaper ones to keep the price of their product down. If you want a GL5 oil thats compatible its going to be more expensive and although it might not be much these days it'll make a difference to the car manufacturer producing thousands of vehicles...