TR7 Heater Repair

Biffdiff42

The heater on my DHC 1980 tr7 works quite well but the two pipes which stick through the bulk head and connect to the flexible pipes have rusted away and I cannot get a water tight connection. I do not want to remove the whole dashboard as this is a nightmare task, so can the heater unit be removed without the whole dash coming out ? or can the pipes be repaired in situ in some way ? 

Any advice, thoughts or guidance would be much appreciated.

I don't think there is any way to remove the heater without taking out the dash and other interior items first.

Dash removal isn't particularly difficult and with the steering wheel off and the hood down access is OK.

I agree with Howard. Taking the steering wheel off is not difficult and makes access much easier. I also removed the trim on the transmission tunnel.

I wouldn't try to repair the rusty pipes. You only want to the job once do it properly. Get new pipes you problem maybe that the foam panel throu which the pipes pass will have perished.

Thanks for the swift advice and I thought this might be the only solution 😞 

Is there a guide or images anywhere on the web on how to do this as my last experience was of brittle plastic and bits that did not seem to want to fit when I tried to put it back together? 

ok, I have started on the process of removing the dashboard to get the heater out and have a couple of questions :-

- I have almost got the instrument cluster out but the speedo cable is still attached and is reluctant to come off after some wiggling and turning. Is there is specific procedure for this please ?

-  I am also remove the centre fascia which surrounds the heater controls etc and it is still attached at the top -  see pic - but I cannot se any more screws to release to get it out. The manual suggest 2 horizontal screws near the top of the unit but I cannot see them or any holes which might have a screw hiding in them 

As ever, any advice would be very welcome !! 

20230505_181547.jpg

The Speedo cable does pull off, but on some versions you have to squeeze the plastic end connector to release. A few minutes groping and squeezing should work, but if that fails have a look from above and try to see what's blocking it.

As far as the heater console, there are two holes in the light bar through which you can access two cross head screws - slacken them off and the light bar can be slid towards the seats. It's a pain to get the light bar back on so good luck.

Thanks for the advice and I have managed to get the dash and heater out and now have a scary looking jumble of cables left hanging off the bulk head ! I may need to ask a couple more questions when it comes to putting all back together as the 'Assembly is the Reverse of Removal' line is never quite true 🙂