Spitfire Mk4 Boot lock Escutcheon/cover plate

John O'Donnell

I am unsure about a repair. You may be able to solder? or similar something to keep it on. However, many/most late spitfiores have lost them, and the new repro ones don't have the cover in the first place. I think it is a weak fitting at best.

If you remove the lock I'm sure but not certain the chrome rivet goes all the way through where it is splayed over to stop it coming out.

What I would do is junk the chrome rivet/pin and replace with a pin from a rivet. If the hole does not go right through to the underside of the lock then you can drill it so the pin can go straight through and cut an splayed over. Does that make sense 🤔 

Danny

10 hours ago, Dannyb said:

If you remove the lock I'm sure but not certain the chrome rivet goes all the way through where it is splayed over to stop it coming out.

What I would do is junk the chrome rivet/pin and replace with a pin from a rivet. If the hole does not go right through to the underside of the lock then you can drill it so the pin can go straight through and cut an splayed over. Does that make sense 🤔 

Danny

This has got me thinking. How about a small diameter bolt. m2 0r 2.5 are available, in stainless. Using a button cap head would be neat.

• Like 1