Bonnet cone Adjusters ........Shiny

CHRIS211083

Hi all, I know alot of people suffer with bonnet catches undoing while driving. So i came up with something that works for me.
     Firstly my bonnet cones were always squeaking as the Po had painted the cone locators and they were now un-adjustable.

So I bought some shiny Stainless steel ones with bolts etc. The old ones were removed and water repellent grease was applied underneath and on top of the new brackets. The bolts were then loosely tightened and the bonnet lowered and the plates moved into the correct position. Then the bonnet was lifted and the bolts were fully tightened.

I then turned my attention to the Bonnet catches. The common thing for these to do is the rollers stop rotating and seize. There are two rollers per catch and both should spin freely. So my top ones do and my bottom ones don't and they probably never will as they are FU*KED. However im not going to buy new ones till my T6 tub is ready. So here is what you do. Firstly spray with copious amounts of WD40. Then when they are clean spray with copious amounts of brake cleaner. Then dry and apply alot of the water repellent grease to the rollers, catch and all moving parts and surfaces including the hook bracket which the catch attaches to.

Make sure it gets everywhere and then shut the bonnet and wipe off the excess grease from the outside. Lock the bonnet down and take hold of the wheel arch. lift the arch lightly and if the bonnet has movement at the catch then adjust the locating cone out until it has virtually no movement. WARNING if you bring it out too much it will be hard to lock down the catches. They should be a one fingered flick to open.

End......Hope this helps stop any squeaking noises and stops catches flicking open. It should also help people to  adjust their bonnets.

Drive safe, Chris.

I have Ordered a T6 Fabrications Fibreglass le mans body Tub. The car was bought for £450(stored +14years). I knew it had problems, the bonnets not good but the tub is solid but not welded the best. Doors are bad but inner parts are very good, boot lid is under offer and tub and chassis are wanted by some one but no money has changed hands yet. The windscreen is very good and i will also have a hardtop for sale only 9months old (Honeybourne Moundings). The Chassis is poly bushed and has new black type shocks and springs. It also will come with diff, half shafts etc. and will be ready to use. New car is going to be completely rebuilt. Any offers please pm me. Body/bits will be available about august.

Chris.  

2402 wrote:
I have Ordered a T6 Fabrications Fibreglass le mans body Tub. The car was bought for £450(stored +14years). I knew it had problems, the bonnets not good but the tub is solid but not welded the best. Doors are bad but inner parts are very good, boot lid is under offer and tub and chassis are wanted by some one but no money has changed hands yet. The windscreen is very good and i will also have a hardtop for sale only 9months old (Honeybourne Moundings). The Chassis is poly bushed and has new black type shocks and springs. It also will come with diff, half shafts etc. and will be ready to use. New car is going to be completely rebuilt. Any offers please pm me. Body/bits will be available about august.

Chris.  
So the rust is no real problem then if you are breaking the car up :o

Not breaking it Rebuilding it. Long story. I have two chassis's and one body. Plan was to make nice this one but it needs alot of time, £££ and a good welder to straighten the body back the way it should be. Basicly im saving the original car and another one, maybe two with the spares from this one. Original Chassis is being rebuilt while spare chassis is being used. Spare will go up for sale when original is painted and fully rebuilt. The hole thing will be written up on this site. Should be finished and EFI'ed by the end of the year.

Chris.

No this isn't a race its just as fast as i can. Want to get it done so Zoe and i can start taking part in all the events and tours. This car is gonna be awesome. As for the blog.....I wouldn't know where to start, that and ill put it all on a thread anyway. Wont be a long one either as its gonna happen quite quickly once the weddings been payed for. :)

Chris.

Archived