Herald 13/60 Passenger Door Locking

JLR

I've just taken delivery of a 1970 13/60 convertible and found tha while the driver-side door handle and lock work as they should, the passenger door handle opens and closes the door but it doesn't have a keyhole and looks as though it's never had one - the area filled with unpearced brightwork. And there doesn't seem to be any way of locking the passenger door from the inside. Am I missing something? With thanks in advance.

Edited by JLR

• JLR changed the title to Herald 13/60 Passenger Door Locking

The interior door handle makes a satisying click when moved towards the front but the door still remains unlucked. Perhaps the internal mechanism needs attention.

Fitting a lock to the passenger door handle seems a good idea, particularly in the case of a convertible. Autodock offer a suitable and reasonably priced product:

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/lock-barrel-set-10790/triumph/herald/herald/6941-13-60

Any change, Standardthread, of a short tutorial on how to make the conversion? With thanks again.

It is a simple exercise. Find an old drivers' door handle with a locking barrel and remove it from the handle by, I think, just removing a circlip with the handle removed from the car. Do the same with the passenger door button. Then reverse the process.

Looking at a door handle removed from the car will make it obvious, a small bolt visible with the car door open, and a screw inside the door body after removing the door card.

Sorry I can't be more specific I did it 30 plus years ago.

Again, the key number is stamped on the barrel I think.