Herald / Vitesse Bonnet adjustment

mk2vitesses

OK one for the Knowledge base!

I have been looking at the adjustments on the bonnet front tube.
There is not a clear diagram showing the relationship between the various components.
From the M/M page 5-205V the two vertical adjustment plates fit inside the overrider mount brackets, now the parts book shows two part numbers for these distance tubes (607910, 121255), so they MUST have been different!
The replacements come in one size!!

So I have opted to assemble as follows, bolt, washer, plate, distance tube / pivot, horizontal bonnet adjuster arm, plate, washer, nut. I have installed the plates on the outside of the overrider mount, this is because the spacer tube in the overrider mount is too long and would not allow me to fit the plates inside, i.e. not as per original Stanpart!

Right, still with me?

The M/M shows the slot in the plates on the pivot point, the parts book shows it the other way up!!!!!!!
From what I can see, for the two adjustments NOT to interact, the plates must go as per parts book, not the M/M, otherwise the two movements fight each other.

HELP!!
Please
Simon

Simon, I have seen a thread on this previously where someone else said the fitting of the brackets depends on which book you refer to. If I remember correctly the response was it doesn't matter which way the brackets go as long as they're all the same way. Might be worth searching past topics (assuming it was this site where I saw it).

Thanks Steve,
yes I'm sure the problem has occured B4, The way in which the book describes the adjustment makes me think the slots should go to the top, otherwise the two adjustments will fight each other.
I was unable to get ANY vertical movement the way they are, so tonight I'll reverse the plates.

The slots must not be at the pivot point. The slots are there to allow adjustment, this point has to become fixed once the desired clearances are achieved.
Beyond that, you must be careful in orientating all the bolts and nuts so they don't foul the overriders. This is often discovered at the very last stage of fitting-up.......
Cheers,
Bill.

Cheers Bill,
I knew you would know, I just hate it when the manuals get it wrong.
So tomorrow I will be swapping all around-------again!
Do you think the fact I have the plates outside being an issue, the only way to change it would be to shorten the distance piece in the overider mount.

Simon

OK Bill,
the workshop manual does show the plate on the inside, it's a bit hard to see though.
I reasoned that the fact that only one type of bushes is now available it was the only way it would all fit together!
At least I have a chance to get things fitting together now!

Cheers
Simon

Archived