MOT exemption

ferny

Bit baffled here.

I've just gone to the post office and used form V112 to declare a vehicle MOT exempt. I asked the lady if she had to tick a box or anything for my own piece of mind and she said there was no need, it just pops up with a marker on the system already.

This leaves me confused. The gov.uk site says we need to use form V112, yet the lady at the counter said it makes no difference. I've also taxed a car 40+ years old online when it doesn't have an MOT.

Is the system a bit crap?

My answer to MOT`s, ...if we are dedicated enthusiasts we should know whether our our cars are roadworthy and or safe to drive, Checking most things from wipers to brakes should be the norm well before taking any Historic  car on the road. Even with an MOT certificate in your hand , it can be nullified by a (rare) traffic cop coming along and checking your car over on a road side check. If he deems the car unsafe because he may pick up on something that he considers unsafe ...a piece of paper is useless. The modern MOT `engineer` nine times out of ten can get it wrong eg being told the wheel bearings are worn , when in most cases there is a tolerance of movement within the older unsealed bearings.or "there is no external rear view mirror, when prior to 1978 there was rule to say one should be fitted . I drive three MOT exempt cars and in each case know that that they are safe regarding road worthy-ness .....Now as for poor spares and replacements ...thats another argument     

IMHO having a totally independent set of eyes checking our cars is no bad thing.

As many more recent classics have performance that equals or even exceeds many modern cars and a serious accident due to poor maintenance could result in what we were allowed to do being seriously restricted, for me an MOT is a no brainer.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Velocita Rosso said:

My answer to MOT`s, ...if we are dedicated enthusiasts we should know whether our our cars are roadworthy and or safe to drive, Checking most things from wipers to brakes should be the norm well before taking any Historic  car on the road. Even with an MOT certificate in your hand , it can be nullified by a (rare) traffic cop coming along and checking your car over on a road side check. If he deems the car unsafe because he may pick up on something that he considers unsafe ...a piece of paper is useless. The modern MOT `engineer` nine times out of ten can get it wrong eg being told the wheel bearings are worn , when in most cases there is a tolerance of movement within the older unsealed bearings.or "there is no external rear view mirror, when prior to 1978 there was rule to say one should be fitted . I drive three MOT exempt cars and in each case know that that they are safe regarding road worthy-ness .....Now as for poor spares and replacements ...thats another argument     

I am perfectly capable of determining the safety of my car,  Being a qualified mechanic myself   (I have a level 2 qualification in vehicle repair and maintenance) however The mot garage I use have classic cars themselves so understand classics, I trust their judgement entirely. I have used them for over 20 years. They also let me use  the pit and 2 post lift when I want to check over my car myself  pre MOT.  It’s my own personal choice to MOT my car,  

Edited by Wendy Dawes
  • Like 5