Replacement hood - mohair

Einar

Hi, I’m thinking about to fit a new hood and would preferably to go for Deluxe Mohair Canvas available at DonHoods, The Don Trimming Company: http://www.donhoods.com . Years ago I read some place something about that mohair is or may be too thick and does not fit properly into the hood storage compartment behind the rear seat. Does anyone know whether this is true and is real a practical problem or not…..

Had a Dark Blue Mohair Hood off the Don Trimming Company on my Vitesse and it folded away no problem

The only problem I did have was with Mohair is it's very difficult to get it taught like the vinyl hoods, so when doing 60+ on a windy day the hood used to flutter a bit at the sides and make an annoying noise

The solution was to travel with the hood down whenever possible

Thanks for the reply. I will consider your input regarding the fit and that it flutters a bit … But the hood is folded for most drives – as you said 😎 But, in my opinion the mohair looks very nice (even though it’s not to original spec – but that really don’t matter to much to me 😉)

I had a Mohair hood on a 1500 spitfire. The material was to thick and strong to get taught on the spitfire frame. I also found it weathered badly fading to a greyish black. I have seen one fitted to a Vitesse and when the chap put the hood up and closed the front latchees   you could see the front screen surround/tub flex backwards, personaly I think they are to heavy for the frame.

Mark