Moderns, car insurance

Velocita Rosso

Not Triumph related....but surely someone can give a guide, as I have now lost what bit of hair I had. In June we changed cars ,which led to a search for the `best` low cost insurance. Choosing Esure Ltd ,it then automatically led me to `my account` for document retrieval. Logging in ,it brought up my son`s name and his car details from three years ago with Esure, but now no longer with them. Rang the help line...which was in Mumbai....they were totally confused an could not help , except to manually send me a copy of insurance certificate and 3 pages of the 15 page documentation ,but no recovery breakdown details that I paid for. Sent numerous requests for assistance with no one answering from June till now. Spoke to my bank credit card to see if they could help as it was a failure to supply goods under the credit card rules.......after three weeks they came back and said no one would answer their call. I turned to the Financial Ombudsman, sent for documents to fill in, sent them off, then after a couple of weeks they came back and said ..it will be three months before an advisor can run with the case..........by which time it will be February before they could start proceedings and that will be 4 months before the insurance expires. Anyone else I could turn to ,is the question? I would never promote Esure Ltd as a company to go to. I now have to drive with heart in my mouth that no one prangs me or I breakdown....as I cannot retrieve any documentation in such a case 

• 2 weeks later...

Buy cheap, buy rubbish!     In future, I find Adrian Flux reliable and inexpensive.  They provided insurance for my TRansit at car rates (hundreds of pounds) when everyone else only offered tradesman rates (thousands!).  And they have a UK centre to deal with problems.

John

• Like 1

This is a very frustrating and  clearly also a worrying situation situation for you.

The positives are that you at least have evidence of payment and some, albeit limited, paperwork which I think would certainly be enough evidence to support the case, should it become necessary,  that you are  insured.

Contacting firms who are so  internet based can  really difficult but if you succeed in getting an email contact then use this route for the purpose of documenting everything and creating an email ‘trail’ m rather than ‘ Speaking to someone’ which has been clearly very time consuming , frustrating, unhelpful  and-  importantly provides no evidence.

Based on your account I am not inclined to change to Esure.

In my town there is an insurance broker where you can walk in off the street like in the old days and speak to a real-life human and arrange insurance.They are very popular.

For motor insurance, I have always found  LV to be very satisfactory.

One feature which impressed  ( and  surprised me),  was  how quick and easy I found it to speak to someone who was knowledgable and helpful and evidently based in the British Isles - I hope that is still the case.

The main thing about insurance is having it but not having to use   it -

Wishing you,  and all , safe  motoring.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnD said:

Buy cheap, buy rubbish!     In future, I find Adrian Flux reliable and inexpensive.  They provided insurance for my TRansit at car rates (hundreds of pounds) when everyone else only offered tradesman rates (thousands!).  And they have a UK centre to deal with problems.

John

I know and have experience of most insurers....that`s why I am an officer of the club. Its not a case of `buy cheap buy rubbish`......most companies have the same underwriters, but its the systems they have in place that need investigating. When you are on a pension ,most people look for the most competitive costs. If you don`t your`e foolish. Even the `good boys` drop you in it sometimes , as I had experience of that a few years ago. In this particular case . I am insured and I have the most important document, the certificate, and I now have the breakdown phone number(obtained in a diverse manner). Still, I`ll muddle through especially when you get some messages of empathy

• Like 1

VR,

You are indeed right about the officers of insurance companies being Illuminati -that is, reptiles.   My newspaper's consumer column today includes accounts of people with moderns, specifically VW and their offshoots, having the wiring of their cars being eaten by rats!   Apparently in pursuit of low carbon, they use a soya-based insulation on the wires and the rodents love it!
The insurers told the owner that this could not have been a single incident, as defined in the policy so they made an excess deduction for every single fault.   As a result, although the repair cost was several thousand pounds, they would pay only a few hundred.   Oh, and the owners would be landed with a whole string of separate claims, with consequent effect on their No Claims Bonus.

Triples all round for the insurers!

John

13 hours ago, Velocita Rosso said:

In my first post.....Ombudsman contacted.....three months to even look at it

I wonder why?    But after this long Tory regime of zero investment in public services and infrastructure, there can be no surprise that the Insurance Ombudsman has an enormous backlog of cases, along with all the others, not least the NHS!

John

• 3 weeks later...

I am thinking of buying another future modern classic, I rang Cherished insurance, -  the car in question is a 1993 Vauxhall Astra, they quoted a massive £390 for insuring it,  I wasnt too surprised  at this as they did quote £165 for my 12/50 Herald which classic line  insured for just £98., unfortunately classic line  don’t recognise 1993 cars as classics. 
I rang Adrian Flux who quoted £299 almost £100 cheaper and this included homestart and recovery/relay and legal cover.

why this massive difference in prices is beyond me  🤷🏻‍♀️
don’t think I’ll be getting quotes from cherished anytime soon 

Edited by Wendy Dawes