1500 engine oil pressure

samwhite95

Hi All,

I have what I suspect is a dolomite 1500 TC engine in my Herald (engine number missing so impossible to tell!). Its developed a quirk recently where the oil pressure will sit at approximately 50lb/sq" when cold and will stay like that even at idle. However when the engine is warmed up and I've driven the car around for around 20 minutes I'm finding the oil pressure is falling to ~15lb/sq". The pressure rises back to around 45-50lb/sq" when the car accelerates to around 3K rpm (to be taken with a pinch of salt as my rev counter is not the most accurate). 

I remember someone saying on a previous post that the 1500 engines work the oil quite hard, could this be the issue? Is it possible for the oil to thin to this extent when warm? and what is an expected idle oil pressure when the car is running warm?

Many thanks in advance and happy new year to you all!

Sam

Cold oil is thicker, hence the higher oil pressure. 

Once hot, you get a better idea of what is happening. So the 15psi is a touch below ideal, but not anything to get worried about. What is important is that the oil pressure is pretty good when the car is being driven, the expected range is 40-60psi when being driven, so absolutely fine. 

Yes, the 1500 gives oil a hard life. Especially if driven at higher revs. So if you do this, best to invest in a higher quality oil. But if just running about, the std classic 20/50 stuff is fine.