Front/Rear break drum screws required ( Fit Herald, Stag,Spitfire, GT6, Dolomite, TR6)

Cal

Hi, Iโ€™m looking for x2 drum screws to fit my triumph herald 13/60, countersunk Slot Drive 1/4 UNFx 3/8โ€

Many Thanksย 

Callum ๐Ÿ™‚

IMG_0007.jpeg

Some argue they are not 100% vital as the rim holds the drum on the hub be itself just fine.
In fact removing those screws can be nigh on impossible on a car that has seen some salt and rain...

If I had them I would use them but with something to ensure the threads stay loose...

ย 

1 hour ago, shenderson said:

With the wheel removed, they hold the drum against the hub, making it much easier to adjust the brakes.ย  A little smear of copperslip grease on the threads should stop them seizing in place.

Why would you adjust brakes with wheels removed? It is much easier to judge when a brake is just binding by rotating the whole wheel and hub assembly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tim Hunt said:

Why would you adjust brakes with wheels removed? It is much easier to judge when a brake is just binding by rotating the whole wheel and hub assembly.

IMHO swings and roundabouts on cars like the Spitfire - with the wheel on as you say it's easier to get a feel for the adjustment, but with the wheel on you can't adjust with the weight on the axle, which makes things tricky for the cable adjustments vs axle droop.

You need the weight on the axles to get the cable adjustment right, so I've always done them wheel off with an axle stand under the upright.ย 

Thusly:
image.thumb.png.c022af4b75bb51d5eaffa188ce2afbdc.png

ย 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...