Greeks

Yes I know most people already have their opinions, but I thought I ought to 'log' this in the appropriate place for future reference.

Driving out of my parking space on Sunday I heard what is technically known as "a bit of a clonk" from the back-end. Bracing myself like all good Triumph husbands I explained to Ella that it was just something in the boot... probably.

At the end of the drive there was another clonk (he's not a German neighbour it was the noise from the car) ... definitely the driver's side rear I thought.

This time I thought I should investigate. Nothing obvious, wheel, driveshaft etc, all looks grand.

Drive off down the road, with attempts at ultra smooth gear changes to see if it makes a difference... *clonk*.

Ever the optimist I pull out onto the 8-lane and two tram lines main-road and head off on our 200km drive.

A few k's (and some more clonking) down the road I've decided that it's getting louder and sillier, so on with the hazard lights and into a car park (which is actually right next to the Melbourne F1 circuit)...

Yes you've guessed it, it was overalls time  (Not a good look next to all the Cayennes and Mercs in Albert Park).

I really thought it was a loose driveshaft and I couldn't figure out what else it could be until I started pushing on the spare wheel well.

Gadzooks! The driver's side KYB had sheared where it goes through the lower mount!

I must say that it was actually quite funny. Not sure what would have caused this - perhaps the fact that I recently replaced the sub-frame bushes has put the car on a different angle?  (Or maybe the hammering it gets on the dirt roads at the weekends?)

Drove home at 30km/hour with hazards going and laughing wife hoping to avoid the neighbour who reckons I spend more time with the bonnet up than driving the bloody car.

Anyway, suffice to say I have a shiny set of Konis sitting next to me ready for action. These cost the equivalent of about 200 of your English pounds which is double the cost of the KYBs.

... can anyone recommend a suitable setting for Konis for a car with 160lb fronts, standard 'S' rears and often carrying heavy loads?

PS - photos to follow when I change them over.

Are these the koni classics that you adjust by pushing together and rotaing?

If so I have mine set at a third of max hardness  if that makes sense-which I know it dosnt but it does in my head!

I think the Konis appear to be built like brick shit houses compared to more weedy units Ive used,but I have never managed to snap one of the more weedy ones! you rough arse knocker

Once snapped a rear damper on my Jag going over a speed bump (slowly!) - think it was a cheapy replacement not OEM.  It does make a nasty bang doesn't it!

I used to have Koni's on a Triumph with some of CWs uprated rear springs - I set them on Max for fun but they were like iron rods.  With standard S springs I'd do what Alan suggested and start off at 1/3 setting - luckily it's easy to get  to them to adjust settings on these cars.

Mark.

Archived