coil over springs/ helper springs

stricky

Hi Guys -

I've got some adjustable seat coil over struts that take 2.25" springs.  

It's build up time but have a few Q's about springs, if anyone can help.

I have some standard type uprated / lowered front springs at a free lenghth of 11" or so.  

So to start off with I was looking at the same free length in 2.25" spring or maybe lower at 9" , and a reasonable 'fast road' type of rate 225/250lb.

Can anyone tell me wether I would need helper springs, will the spring (9") become unseated?

if so at what rate and what size?

some people say they are just to keep the main spring in place when jacking up the front of the car.  But others say that the ride is improved with harder main springs?

anyone got any experience?

:)

stricky wrote:
...anyone got any experience? ...

Not yet, will hopefully get my new set of coil-overs before Christmas.
These come with fairly soft helper springs ...

As for the (helper) springs;
I have 225 lbs springs under 't Kreng at the moment, free length is 10" and yes to get it through its MOT I do need helper spring 'cause they will become unseated (which isn't allowed for the MOT in the NL, even if you promise you don't jump the car  ;D)

stricky wrote:
... what spec are you going for?  where are you locating the bottom of the damper? on the axle mount?

The firm that are making them will propose a set up for the car (spring/dampers) based on it's weight and use.
Bottom mount of the rear coil over will be mounted to the rear axle with a welded  bracket.

Archived