Lucas sports coil failure !!!!!!!

CHRIS211083

As the title says that's two bloody Lucas sports coils in 12 months. Must just be too hot under the bonnet.

I noticed that there was some scoring on the dizzy cap so drove to chic doig's today to buy a cap/rotor arm and talk about painting my T6 tub. Arrived and the car was miss firing a touch on part throttle sometimes so bought the new parts and fitted them. Just as I was leaving I said" I'll have another coil chic, as the wife has my spare". Got half way home car starts miss firing and then stops. Changed coil, car starts right up purring away. Currently have electronic ignition so coil has no excuse.

I'm getting sick of the cheap Sh*te rubbish parts available for our cars. Am now thinking of Mega jolting it for Christmas.

Bloody typical.

Chris.

Hey Chris.
I know at least Pertronix makes a canister style coil that has a full epoxy filling, rather than the usual oil, that might help. Supposed to be more resistant to heat and vibration than the old oil type. Stated purpose of said design is to benefit air-cooled engines like VW's and/or racing endurance applications.
Probably other brands make that type as well, but theirs is the only one I know of off-hand.

Not sure if that's one of the ones I used on the Spit, but I've used a couple of them with no problems so far. That's not really saying much though, as I have pretty good luck with coils in general over the years.

Good luck!

Paul

My coil failed last summer, was a sports type from simonbbc, suffered my only ever breakdown in my Triumph because of it. Oil was pissing out of the coil. Bought a standard Lucas coil and mounted it where Heralds have theirs, on the bulkhead near the battery, no problems since. My engine gets really hot and I think I've sorted it.

Archived