Anybody got a Stag driveshaft I could borrow?

Rubce

Hi All

Our Stag has developed a rumbling noise from the rear offside. At this stage I am unsure if it is the wheel bearing or diff related. 

To eliminate the wheel bearing I want to swap out the driveshaft to see if the noise goes away. If it doesn't I will refit the driveshaft and move onto the diff. If the noise does go away I will overhaul the driveshaft.

Does anyone have a serviceable driveshaft/wheel bearing assembly that I could borrow for two weeks to assist me with the fault finding? I will obviously pay postage costs etc

Regards 

Bruce

Ello Bruce, dont change owt owa just yet

jack back end up,  prefferably wid the susp arms on chocks, so drive shafts are same ish heights, IE, no hanging,if just jacked up

then adjust the brake adjuster, till the wheel will no turn. other wheel will turn, thru the differential.
if it is rumbling when ye run car in gear, say 20 in top, as it,ll be fast enough t,mek a noise, but engine quiet enought t,hear it rumbling.

then its diff end,  nee noise, then its wheel end

Note, yer diff will mek a wee clank,n noise if yer planets are nice an tight., its the diff gears
nowt t,worry aboot.

drive shafts tend t,clonk, as splines wear, but dont rumble
bearings rumble, esp if they had water in em, !!!

M

Hi All

Thanks for the numerous offers of advice and loan of driveshafts. Poppyman popped round on Tuesday and we disconnected both driveshafts from the diff. The noise remained so not the driveshafts. Then we disconnected the propshaft from the gearbox. The noise went away so not gearbox.

Removed the diff and turned the extension bearing quill shaft by hand. The noise was horrible and the shaft could be waggled side to side! So the culprit is a knackered extension bearing which is an SKF one which I only fitted a year ago. Grrrrr! 

On the positive side it will be a damn side cheaper than a replacement diff or gearbox!

Regards 

Bruce