Wooden steering wheels

desmk11

Hi all, was just wandering if anyone has ever fitted a flat wooden steering wheel? I am quite tall and so on previous Triumphs i have done such things as moving seats further back on their runners, just redrilling a few holes in the runners to get an extra bit of room etc.
On my big saloon i have a dished mota lita but i could do with a bit more room in the stag, every little extra helps. I was thinking maybe a 14inch wheel again but don't know if this will be ok for seeing all the dials.
Hope somebody has tried it.

Des.

I do like the sound of that, semi-dished leather, maybe a 14inch again would give me that little extra. I think i shall wait and do a walk round all the Stags at Stoneleigh before making my final choice.
Once again many thanks for your time.

I would get a semi dished Moto Lita personally in the rim of your choice.  The wooden ones do have a lovely feel to them.

Without trying to cause too much offence I would steer away from the cheaper Mountney wheels.  I have had one before, but I would be hard pushed to have one again after seeing a new item fall apart (read the rim separating from the spokes!) in addition to the rim simply being riveted onto the spokes!

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=general&thread=107696&page=1

desmk11 wrote:
Hi all, was just wandering if anyone has ever fitted a flat wooden steering wheel?

Don't do it! They look fine is a 60s sports car, but in a Stag they look hideous and ludicrous. Dazzle from the chrome can also be a problem given the angle of the Stag steering wheel which is much shallower than a real sports car.

badshead wrote:

Don't do it! They look fine is a 60s sports car, but in a Stag they look hideous and ludicrous. Dazzle from the chrome can also be a problem given the angle of the Stag steering wheel which is much shallower than a real sports car.

Totally agree,keep the original or sell the stag.

jcarruthers wrote:
I love my Motolita leather wheel— one of the best value upgrades to the car.

Leather is fine as per the original, it's the wooden ones that look ridiculous. If you've really got to have one go the whole 9 yards and get some string-back gloves and a groovy mustache to go with it.  ;)

4479 wrote:

Totally agree,keep the original or sell the stag.

So STAGPAGAN is into 'originality' all of a sudden  ;D

Personally I like the 13" Astrali wooden wheel, but they stopped making them several years ago. You may be lucky to find one around somewhere.
This picture is of the wheel in my old Stag, but it now resides in my current Stag.

Archived