Rear trailing arm stud dimensions and threads

carboy0

I started to replace the offside drive shaft and in the process of removal managed to strip two of the studs.  I can helicoil the holes quite easily.  I plan to go for 5/16” UNC studs in the aluminium trailing arm with 5/16” unf stud ends for the hub.  This is rather than the standard 5/16” unf at both ends on the standard TD 812 Triumph studs.

Does anyone have a part number and source for a suitable stud with combined unc/unf 5/16” studs, that are the right length?

Thanks in advance.

Tony not really, UNF thread is too fine for aluminium, it’s always likely to pull through the body of the suspension arm.

UNC or Metric coarse are the normally the preferred engineering option for aluminium thread holes.  Helicoiling in UNF, will just mean pulling a bigger hole in the aluminium next time.

I posted the same question on the Stag Owners Club forum and using the following studs was suggested.  Rather than drill out the trailing arm for 5/16 unf helicoil, this company has made HT steel studs with 3/8 UNC on one end 5/16 on the other end.  It bypasses the need for the helicoil,you just drill and tap for 3/8 UNC and screw in direct.

https://www.classicdrivingdevelopment.co.uk/cats.asp?cID=3&carID=4&page=STAG+3%2F8+UNC+HUB+STUD

Not cheap but a good solution.

Quoted from carboy0-

Tony not really, UNF thread is too fine for aluminium, it’s always likely to pull through the body of the suspension arm.

UNC or Metric coarse are the normally the preferred engineering option for aluminium thread holes.  Helicoiling in UNF, will just mean pulling a bigger hole in the aluminium next time.

Hi Chris,

TRiumph got it right when they used UNF as the thread form.

UNF is used to stop vibration loosening the stud/nut.

Low torque figure is fine as the 6 studs do a good job.

I think 50 years is a good life for a stud in Ali.

If you go the 5/16UNF helicoil route you will have a greater locking system as the Helicoil actually moves outwards (into the Ali) and grips better.

The logic behind UNC for this application is flawed.  

Stick with the 5/16UNF.

Roger

Quoted from carboy0-

I posted the same question on the Stag Owners Club forum and using the following studs was suggested.  Rather than drill out the trailing arm for 5/16 unf helicoil, this company has made HT steel studs with 3/8 UNC on one end 5/16 on the other end.  It bypasses the need for the helicoil,you just drill and tap for 3/8 UNC and screw in direct.

https://www.classicdrivingdevelopment.co.uk/cats.asp?cID=3&carID=4&page=STAG+3%2F8+UNC+HUB+STUD

Not cheap but a good solution.

I did this last year when I changed my driveshafts on the MK1 - easy to fit with the kit provided and will be there forever.

Paul